Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Something a little bit challenging ...

God has no use for the prayers of the people who won't listen to him. Proverbs 28:9 The Message

This morning I was a little bit stuck on what to write. I had been reading through Proverbs 27 and found some scriptures that spoke to me about aspects of my life, but nothing that I felt God wanted me to write about today. So I thought, 'I'll ask the Holy Spirit for direction.' And He led me to the scripture above, in Proverbs 28 ...

God has no use for the prayers of the people who won't listen to him. Proverbs 28:9 The Message

Ouch! That seems a bit harsh, so I thought I'd have a read of it in the Amplified version .....

He who turns away his ear from hearing the law [of God and man], even his prayer is an abomination, hateful and revolting [to God]. Proverbs 28:9 AMP

Double ouch!  

What does turning an ear away from hearing the law, look like? Here's an example,

But they refused to listen and turned a rebellious and stubborn shoulder and made heavy and full their ears that they might not hear. Zechariah 7:11 AMP

Looks like rebellion and stubbornness.  

If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me; Psalm 66:18 AMP

Sounds like sin. 

Which leads me to a song I started to sing yesterday on my walk. This was one of the first songs I heard when I became a Christian ...

Create in me a clean heart, oh God
And renew a right spirit within me
Cast me not away from Thy presence, oh Lord
And take not Thy holy spirit from me
Restore unto me the joy of Thy salvation
And renew a right spirit within me
Create in me a clean heart by Keith Green. 

Lyrics based on some verses in Psalm 51

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right, persevering, and steadfast spirit within me. Cast me not away from Your presence and take not Your Holy Spirit from me. Restore me to the joy of Your salvation and uphold me with a willing spirit. Psalm 51:10-12

Sounds like this would make a great daily prayer, the type of prayer that is prayed in a quite place where we can be still and hear the small still voice of God. Not one of the on-the-run prayers, or the crying out in desperation prayers, or jumping for joy prayers of thankfulness. I am not saying those prayers aren't good - I pray those sorts of prayers throughout my day.

But I have found that the 'create in me a clean heart prayer' requires me to be still and quiet, giving God space and time to let God search my heart and speak to me about my sin.

Search me [thoroughly], O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there is any wicked or hurtful way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. Psalm 139:23-24 AMP

I need to be still so I can hear what He has to say. My heart and mind needs to be focused on Him, nothing else, no-one else. I want my relationship with Jesus to keep going to an  increasingly intimate place. I know I have a part to play in the deepening of our relationship. It is not a one-sided relationship - I have responsibilities too. I need to listen and obey.

Questions for today, where is your relationship with Jesus at? Is He a stranger to you? Is He an acquaintance? Is He a friend? Is He a brother? Is He your Lord and Saviour? 

My suggestion, start talking to Him today, and remember to listen too. He loves you.

All believers, come here and listen,
let me tell you what God did for me.
I called out to him with my mouth,
my tongue shaped the sound of music.
If I had been cosy with evil,
the Lord would never have listened.
But he most surely did listen,
he came on the double when he heard my prayer.
Blessed be God: he didn't turn a deaf ear,
he stayed with me, loyal in his love.
Psalm 66:16-20 The Message









No comments: