Monday, June 9, 2014

Let's not receive the grace of God in vain

Labouring together [as God's fellow workers] with Him then, we beg of you not to receive the grace of God in vain [that merciful kindness by which God exerts His holy influence on souls and turns them to Christ, keeping and strengthening them - do not receive it to no purpose]. 2 Corinthians 6:1 AMP

What are you doing today? What purpose does it serve? These can be very confronting questions. Especially if we are directing our own activities, directing our own steps without checking in daily with our Heavenly Father, to see what He wants us to do with our day. This morning I was very tempted to get straight into my household chores instead of writing this blog. So how apt is it that the Holy Spirit should draw me to these scriptures about his plans for the day. Reminding me that He knows best, not me!

O Lord [pleads Jeremiah in the name of the people], I know that [the determination of] the way of a man is not in himself; it is not in man [even in a strong man or in a man at his best] to direct his [own] steps. O Lord, correct, instruct and chastise me, but with judgement and in just measure - not in Your anger, lest You diminish me and bring me to nothing. Jeremiah 10:23,34 AMP

I am not sure about you, but I don't want this day, or in fact any day of my life to amount to nothing. I want to be God's vessel, used for His purposes. I don't want to receive His grace in vain. Jesus gave everything for us.

He was guilty of no sin, neither was deceit (guile) ever found on His lips. When He was reviled and insulted, He did not revile or offer to insult in return; [when] He was abused and suffered, He made no threats [of vengeance]; but he trusted [Himself and everything] to Him Who judges fairly. He personally bore our sins in His [own] body on the tree [as an altar and offered Himself on it], that we might die (cease to exist) to sin and live to righteousness. By His wounds you have been healed.  1 Peter 3:22-24 AMP

Jesus did all this for you and me. Let's not receive His sacrifice and grace in vain.

Questions for today, have you asked God what He wants you to do today? Have you then taken the time to wait for His answer? Are you willing let God order your steps? Consider this...

The steps of a [good] man are directed and established by the Lord when He delights in his way [and He busies Himself with his every step]. Though he falls, he shall not be utterly cast down, for the Lord grasps his hand in support and upholds him. Psalm 37:23,24 AMP







2 comments:

Jenyfer said...

Good morning Wendy. Thankyou for such an inspired word in season - exactly the right encouragement and challenge I needed today. Have a wonderful day and many blessings to you and the family. J

Wendy said...

Thanks Jen for your comment and encouragement. I pray that we continue to let God direct our steps. Wendy