Monday, June 30, 2014

Do not grieve the Holy Spirit

And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God [do not offend or vex or sadden Him], by Who you were sealed (marked, branded as God's own, secured) for the day of redemption (of final deliverance through Christ from evil and the consequences of sin). Let all bitterness and indignation and wrath (passion, rage, bad temper) and resentment (anger, animosity) and quarreling (brawling, clamor, contention) and slander (evil-speaking, abusive or blasphemous language) be banished from you, with all malice (spite, ill will, or baseness of any kind). And become useful and helpful and kind to one another, tenderhearted (compassionate, understanding, loving-hearted), forgiving one another [readily and freely], as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:30-32 AMP

I don't know what happens in your heart as you read that list of 'bad behaviours' in verse 31. In my heart I feel convicted and sad as I recall the recent times when I acted out these behaviours, particularly resentment. I know I am not perfect. But when I read that list of 'bad behaviours' in relation to grieving the Holy Spirit, that realisation of my imperfections somehow goes deeper. Humility overcomes me as I reflect on my behaviour.

And then as I read the last words of verse 32, 'as God in Christ forgave you', I feel relieved as I am reminded of the grace that God has shown me.  Despite my imperfections, in the beginning of Ephesians, Paul tells us,  that God ..

'chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will - to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves. In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding.' Ephesians 1:4-8 NIV

How wonderful it is to read that God chose us! He wants us to be in relationship with Him. He made a way for us, despite all our failings, to come into His presence, via His son Jesus Christ. This grace He has shown us, of course doesn't give us licence to continue with our 'bad behaviours'. His Holy Spirit is in us to help us change. However, when we do regress, His grace and forgiveness is also readily available. As His word says in James,

But He gives us more and more grace (power of the Holy Spirit, to meet this evil tendency and all others fully). That is why He says, God sets Himself against the proud and haughty, but gives grace [continually] to the lowly (those who are humble enough to receive it). James 4:6 AMP

Questions for today, how do you feel when you read that passage of scripture, Ephesians 4:30-32?  Is there a conviction in your heart as you read it? Thank God for His grace, and that He chose you, and sent His Son, Jesus Christ for you. Ask God for forgiveness for your behaviour. Thank God for the power of the Holy Spirit in your life to help you change your behaviour. He loves you and His grace is sufficient for you.

But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 2 Corinthians 12:9 NIV






No comments: