Saturday, June 21, 2014

Fear of man

The Lord of hosts - regard Him as holy and honour His holy name [by regarding Him as your only hope of safety], and let Him be your fear and let Him be your dread [lest you offend Him by your fear of man and distrust of Him]. And He shall be a sanctuary [a sacred and indestructible asylum to those who reverently fear and trust in Him]; but He shall be a Stone of stumbling and a Rock of offense to both the houses of Israel, a trap and a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem. Isaiah 8:13,14 AMP

When I first became a Christian, fear of man was something I had to overcome. I had always been a 'people pleaser'. I would go out of my way to do the right thing, or that little bit extra, so I could enjoy the warm fuzzy feeling when the compliments came flowing my way. If I am honest, that need to get people's approval, along with pride, was a lot of what drove my actions. God had a lot of work to do in my heart, a lot of heart attitude adjustments were needed.

I was fearful of the response from people that would come if I didn't do the 'right' thing. I didn't want people to be disappointed in me. So what a challenge I faced when God spoke to me about doing something that I knew would upset and disappoint people. It was a major life decision. It was a time in my life when I had to make a choice - the approval of man or being disobedient to my Heavenly Father.

I had to spend a lot of quiet time with God. Quiet time, letting Him speak to my heart about it's 'fear of man'. Quiet time getting a heart understanding of His unconditional love for me. Quiet time knowing that obedience to Him was the best course of my life, not basing my decisions on people's reactions. As this scripture says, there is not want to those who truly revere and worship Him with godly fear.

O fear the Lord, you His saints [revere and worship Him]! For there is no want to those who truly revere and worship Him with godly fear. The young lions lack food and suffer hunger, but they who seek (inquire of and require) the Lord [by right of their need and on the authority of His Word], none of them shall lack any beneficial thing. Come, you children, listen to me; I will teach you to revere and worshipfully fear the Lord. Psalm 34:9-11 AMP

Eventually after months of God teaching me, in those quiet times, how to revere and worshipfully fear Him, I was obedient. So with confidence in Him, joyfully and whole-heartedly I did what He had told me to do. And indeed I have not lacked in that aspect of my life.

Question for today, is there something God is asking you to do, but the fear of people's response is holding you back? Ask God to teach you how to revere and worshipfully fear Him, rather than man. Be prepared for a heart attitude change as you take another step in the journey of becoming more like Jesus.

Sow yourselves according to righteousness (uprightness and right standing with God); reap according to mercy and loving-kindness. Break up your uncultivated ground, for it is time to seek the Lord, to inquire for and of Him, and to require His favour, till He comes and teaches you righteousness and rains His righteous gift of salvation on you. Hosea 10:12 AMP

Postscript: These days I still go out of my way to do the right thing and bless people as much as I can, however my heart attitude is different, it is no longer about the compliments I receive, it is now about loving people because God loves me.

No comments: