Saturday, February 13, 2016

Save me

Help me, oh help me, GOD, my God, save me through your wonderful love; 
Then they'll know that your hand is in this, that you, GOD, have been at work.
Psalm 109:26-27 The Message

How many times have you cried out, "Help me, oh help me, GOD, my God?" 

It is one of my most common cries! When a child is crying and I feel like I just don't have any compassion left, my cry is "Help me Jesus, give me what I need to do this."  Or when I am faced with a situation, and I have absolutely no idea what to do, "Help me Jesus, show me what to do next."

The New Living Translation puts it this way,

Help me, O LORD my God!
Save me because of your unfailing love.
Let them see that this is your doing, 
that you yourself have done it, LORD.
Psalm 109:26-27 NLT

"Save me" is probably not such a common cry, maybe because for most of us it infers the need to be protected from physical danger. And thankfully for a lot of us, that type of danger is not a daily occurrence. 

God has a much bigger definition of 'save'. John 3:16-17 tells us that God so loved us that He sent His son so that we could be saved.

"For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him."
John 3:16-17 NLT

Let's have a look at this fuller definition of the word 'save'. This information was given to me by a friend, it is an extract from 'Bridge for Peace Foundation for Healing' by Annette Eckart.

The word 'save' is the Greek word 'sozo (sode-zo)': save, heal, cure, preserve, keep safe and sound. Rescue from danger and destruction, deliver, save from physical death by healing and from spiritual death by forgiving sin and its effect; to give new life, cause to have a new heart, protect, do well, make whole and prosper.

God wants to 'save' every aspect of our lives. He wants to heal us, cure us, preserve us and keep us safe and sound. He wants us to live.

So Jesus said again, I assure you, most solemnly I tell you, that I Myself am the Door for the sheep. ..... I am the Door; anyone who enters in through Me will be saved (will live). He will come in and he will go out [freely], and will find pasture. John 10:7, 9 AMP

And He saves us because He loves us. His love is wonderful and unfailing. 

Help me, LORD my God; save me according to your unfailing love. Let them know that it is your hand, that you, LORD, have done it. Psalm 109:26-27 NIV

Furthermore in the process of 'saving' us, other people see the work of His hand. So let's align ourselves with God and allow His saving power to permeate through every aspect of our lives, not just for our own sakes, but for those who are watching and are yet to be saved.

And he brought them out [of the dungeon] and said, Men, what is it necessary for me to do that I may be saved?
And they answered, Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ [give yourself up to Him, take yourself out of your own keeping and entrust yourself into His keeping] and you will be saved, [and this applies both to] you and your household as well. Acts 1:30-31 AMP







No comments: