Thursday, February 4, 2016

Incline your ear

Hide not Your face from me in the day when I am in distress! Incline Your ear to me; in the day when I call, answer me speedily. Psalm 102:2 AMP

So often when we are in desperate need of God's help, we cry out to Him, "Please listen to me God. Where are you? Can you hear me?" The Message Bible puts it this way,

GOD, listen! Listen to my prayer, 
listen to the pain in my cries.
Don't turn your back on me just when I need you so desperately.
Pay attention! This is a cry for help!
And hurry - this can't wait!
Psalm 102:1-2 The Message

Sometimes we have an inner knowing that God is listening ...

I call to you, God, because I'm sure of an answer.
Psalm 17:6a The Message

.....But we just can't or haven't heard the answer. And maybe that is because we aren't listening to God. Maybe we are like the people of Judah....

For these twenty-three years - from the thirteenth year of Josiah son of Amon king of Judah, even to this day - the word of the Lord has come to me and I have spoken to you persistently early and late, but you have not listened and obeyed. Although the Lord persistently sent you all the prophets, His servants, yet you have not listened and obeyed or [even] inclined your ear to hear. Jeremiah 25:3-4 AMP

So where is it that we are inclining our ear? Are we inclining our ear towards God?

Incline you ear [submit and consent to the divine will] and come to Me; hear, and your soul will revive; and I will make an everlasting covenant or league with you, even the sure mercy (kindness, goodwill, and compassion) promised to David. Isaiah 55:3 AMP

Are we making a decision to submit and consent to God's will? To discern His will through all the 'noise' in our lives? Are we listening out for Godly wisdom, rather than 'worldly' wisdom?

My son, be attentive to my Wisdom [godly Wisdom learned by actual and costly experience], and incline your ear to my understanding [of what is becoming and prudent for you], that you may exercise proper discrimination and discretion and your lips may guard and keep knowledge and the wise answer [to temptation]. Proverbs 5:1-2 AMP

While we need to consider what we are listening to, God's Word tells us that He is definitely listening to us, all the time.

Then you will call upon Me, and you will come and pray to Me, and I will hear and heed you. Jeremiah 29:12 AMP

So the question for today, who are we choosing to listen to? Are we inclining our ear to Him? God is inclining His ear to us - right now. Let's choose to be an active listener.

I waited patiently and expectantly for the Lord; and He inclined to me and heard my cry. He drew me up out of a horrible pit [a pit of tumult and of destruction], out of the miry clay (froth and slime), and set my feet upon a rock, steadying my steps and establishing my goings. And He has put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God. Many shall see and fear (revere and worship) and put their trust and confident reliance in the Lord. Psalm 40:1-3 AMP



No comments: