Thursday, December 17, 2015

A shelter and a refuge

For You have been a shelter and a refuge for me, a strong tower against the adversary. Psalm 61:3 AMP

Sometimes when a storm comes into our lives, we are in the shelter, seemingly untouched by the storm, but able to see the damage it is doing around us. Other times there appears to be no shelter and the impact of the storm penetrates our heart. At the precise moment the storm hits it appears that there is no escaping it. We are hit by it's full force. And it hurts. Really hurts.

We can't live in denial, the storms do come. They can cause deep deep pain, pain that seems like it will never go away. I am not an expert on grief, but I know someone who is. Someone that we can call out to when we are in pain. Someone that will help guide us through the pain.

God, listen to me shout, bend an ear to my prayer. When I'm far from anywhere, down to my last gasp, I call out, "Guide me up High Rock Mountain!"
Psalm 61:1-2 The Message

And what's more He doesn't work 9 to 5. He doesn't have specific office hours. He is always available.

You've always given me breathing room, a place to get away from it all, a lifetime pass to your safe-house, an open invitation as your guest. Psalm 3-4 The Message

And no matter how many people call out to Him, there is never a queue. We don't have to wait to be heard. He can talk to us all at the same time! Can't quite get my head around that.

Furthermore He doesn't charge for His wisdom and advice. His Son already paid the price so we could freely come to Him.

Just as the Son of Man came not to be waited on but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many [the price paid to set them free]. Matthew 20:28 AMP

Question for today, have you been in a storm recently seemingly without shelter, and there is hurt and pain to process? Why not take time today to talk to your always available, always loving Heavenly Father, asking Him to help you navigate through the pain. He wants to be our shelter and refuge. He is a safe place to be.

My help and glory are in God - granite-strength and safe-harbour-God - So trust him absolutely, people; lay your lives on the line for him. God is a safe place to be.
Psalm 62:7 The Message






No comments: