Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Well-founded hope

Now may our Lord Jesus Christ Himself and God our Father, Who loved us and gave us everlasting consolation and encouragement and well-founded hope through [His] grace (unmerited favour), comfort and encourage your hearts and strengthen them [make them steadfast and keep them unswerving] in every good work and word. 
2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 AMP

This morning I was reading about the persecution that Christians are experiencing in many parts of the world. It made me think about how blessed we are to live here, where we can so freely celebrate the birth of Jesus, our Lord and Saviour.  Here, where we can sing about Jesus and His love for us. Here, where we can openly have a conversation with a friend on the footpath, or in the shopping centre, or in a park, about what Jesus has done in our lives. Here, where we can openly pray for someone to receive Jesus as their Lord and Saviour and start of the path of having their life transformed by Him. Him who came to give us life and give it to the full.

And then a bit of fear crept in, what if that level of persecution comes here, and we can no longer experience the religious freedom we currently have? That freedom is already being eroded, with more restrictions being placed on Religious Instructions in schools. As my mind wandered down that 'what if' path, God drew me to this passage of scripture .....

That is why I would remind you to stir up (rekindle the embers of, fan the flame of, and keep burning) the [gracious] gift of God, [the inner fire] that is in you by means of the laying on of my hands [with those of the elders at your ordination]. For God did not give us a spirit of timidity (of cowardice, of craven and cringing and fawning fear), but [He has given us a spirit] of power and of love and of calm and well-balanced mind and discipline and self-control, do not blush or be ashamed then, to testify to and for our Lord, nor of me, a prisoner for His sake, but [with me] take your share of the suffering [to which the preaching] of the Gospel [may expose you, and do it] in the power of God. 2 Timothy 1:6-8 AMP

Yes, a stirring from within is needed, so we don't become complacent about the gracious gift of God. All He has done for us, has been done for a purpose - His purpose of drawing all people back into relationship with Him.

[For it is He] Who delivered and saved us and called us with a calling in itself holy and leading to holiness [to a life of consecration, a vocation of holiness]; [He did it] not because of any merit that we have done, but because of and to further His own purpose and grace (unmerited favour) which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began [eternal ages ago]. 2 Timothy 1:9 AMP

So what do we do? What can we do? Get into the presence of God, know better His heart for His people, learn how to love as God loves, pray for understanding of your part in His purpose, stay alert and pray for courage and boldness.

You number and record my wanderings; put my tears into Your bottle - are they not in Your book? Then shall my enemies turn back in the day that I cry out; this I know, for God is for me. In God, Whose word I praise, in the Lord, Whose word I praise, In God have I put my trust and confident reliance; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me? Your vows are upon me, O God; I will render praise to You and give You thank offerings. For You have delivered my life from death, yes, and my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of life and of the living. Psalm 56:8-13 AMP

In God, have I put my trust and reliance; I will not be afraid.

Today, by God's grace, the celebration of Christmas in Australia is an expected part of our annual calendar. In some countries that is not the case. 

Question for today, what can you do prayerfully and practically today to help show God's light in our country? To show that He is real and He loves each and every person. To show that He is a God of peace and well-founded hope.

In peace I will both lie down and sleep, for You, Lord, alone make me dwell in safety and confident trust. Psalm 4:8 AMP

No comments: