Saturday, July 9, 2016

Desire for God's word

For the Word that God speaks is alive and full of power [making it active, operative, energizing, and effective]; it is sharper than any two-edged sword, penetrating to the dividing line of the breath of life (soul) and [the immortal] spirit, and of joints and marrow [of the deepest parts of our nature], exposing and sifting and analyzing and judging the very thoughts and purposes of the heart. Hebrews 4:12 AMP

There are many things we can choose to read today - the latest update on our elections, the news of chaos in so many parts of the world, facebook or other social media posts, or a 'light' read to help us escape the realities of this world. Whatever you choose to read today, I encourage you to read God's word too. It brings us life.

And Jesus replied to him, It is written, Man shall not live and be sustained by (on) bread alone but by every word and expression of God. Luke 4:4 AMP

A few years after I became a Christian my daily bible reading started to become very spasmodic. I certainly wasn't reading my bible every day. I was far from purposeful in reading God's word. I tried various reading plans but was unable to stick to any of them. As I didn't want to be religious about reading the bible every day, so I just let it go. 

And then life changed with Victoria's diagnosis, I was in desperate need of God, and I started to read His word every day. I found comfort, encouragement, understanding, love and much much more in His word. Over recent years that desperation has changed to a wonderful desire. A desire and expectation to  see how God is going to speak to me through His word each day. It really has become what sustains me.

I pray that you don't have to have the sort of wake up call that I needed, to increase your desire for God's word. But my question for today is, where do you honestly think your desire for God's word is at? Is there room for more? If so, why not ask God to give you that desire and show you how to implement that desire in your life?

And now [brethren], I commit you to God [I deposit you in His charge, entrusting you to His protection and care]. And I commend you to the Word of His grace [to the commands and counsels and promises of His unmerited favour]. It is able to build you up and to give you [your rightful] inheritance among all God's set-apart ones (those consecrated, purified, and transformed of soul). Acts 20:32 AMP


No comments: