Thursday, December 3, 2015

Too busy to read the Bible?

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right, persevering, and steadfast spirit within me. Cast me not away from Your presence and take not Your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of Your salvation and uphold me with a willing spirit. 
Psalm 51:10-12 AMP

With all the busy-ness of the Christmas season, the temptation for me today was to just get into the busy-ness without spending time with my Heavenly Father. Thankfully the Holy Spirit kept prompting me to stop, open my Bible and read - Psalm 51. Here's how it starts ....

Have mercy upon me, O God, according to Your steadfast love, according to the multitude of Your tender mercy and loving-kindness blot out my transgressions.
Psalm 51:1 AMP

Just reading verse one realigns our hearts and thoughts immediately with God, reminding us of His mercy and His love He has for us. All else in our lives pales into insignificance compared to His love for us.

My flesh is now saying, that's enough, get on with all the jobs now. But the Holy Spirit is saying, no keep reading My truth ....

Behold, You desire truth in the inner being; make me therefore to know wisdom in my inmost heart.
Psalm 51:6 AMP

Wisdom, beautiful Godly wisdom, how much do we need wisdom at this time of year?? Wisdom with words, time, money, truth, grace and much more. Heavenly Father, please give us an abundance of wisdom.

I am now curious as to what else God is going to show me in this Psalm ....

Make me to hear joy and gladness and be satisfied; let the bones which You have broken rejoice.
Psalm 51:8 AMP

Yesterday we were at the hospital for Victoria's monthly port-a-cath flush. I still have difficulty, almost five years on, believing we have to walk through the door of a Unit that is labelled 'Children's cancer and hematology Day Unit'. Once inside the Unit, a joy and gladness comes forth from our three daughters that breathes life into a place of darkness. The nurses are in fits of laughter. It is as if a hurricane of joy has entered the place. Thank you God, you have helped me to hear the joy and gladness and be satisfied.

Now I am hungry for what else God wants to say to me this morning ....

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right, persevering, and steadfast spirit within me. Cast me not away from Your presence and take not Your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of Your salvation and uphold me with a willing spirit. 
Psalm 51:10-12 AMP

Oh yes, memories come flooding back of a song I sang when I became a Christian, "Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit in me".  Thankfulness comes into my heart for a God is pursues us and doesn't give up on us.

And then, I am reminded of some very important things to keep top of mind today and over these next few weeks ......

Cast me not away from Your presence 
- Need to stick close to God
Take not your Holy Spirit from me
 - Need to listen for the promptings of the Holy Spirit
Restore to me the joy 
- Need to look for the joy in everything
Uphold me with a willing spirit
 - Need to continually yield to God and His ways

Question for today, are you feeling too busy and overwhelmed with all things Christmas to not open your Bible and read it today? If like me, you thought it wouldn't matter if you missed a day, I would like to gently remind you (as the Holy Spirit did to me this morning) that God is always wanting to talk with us, encourage us, and guide us,. Let's not miss out on the opportunity to receive from Him today because of our plans.

God, make a fresh start in me, shape a Genesis week from the chaos of my life. Don't throw me out with the trash, or fail to breathe holiness in me. Bring me back from gray exile, and put a fresh wind in my sails! Psalm 51:10-12 The Message







No comments: