Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Don't schedule out God's purposes

In my early years of 'mummying' four children I tried to schedule things to make the weeks as easy as possible for myself. 

For example, with physical activity and sport, one strategy I employed was to encourage them all to do swimming, it was in one location, not weather dependent, cheapish, both boys and girls can participate in it, and of course, it is good for their fitness. And one of the biggest benefits for me, the mum was that it was easy to fit into our weekly schedule. 

But it soon became evident that not all four children had a passion for swimming. It turns out that they had their own ideas about what they wanted to do for physical exercise! Yes, it seems they have their own thoughts and desires. They are four individual humans, that are not always going to fit into the nice orderly picture I had in my mind.

God reminded me of their uniqueness this morning as I was praying for them. I paused and read back over the prayers I'd journalled for each child, where I had thanked God for what He is doing in their lives and asked Him to help them in specific areas. 

As I re-read the prayers I realised that they were very different for each child. Of course their differing ages had something to do with this, but it was more than that. It was as if God was showing me that they were unique because He created them that way. We read that truth in Psalm 139.

You formed my innermost being, shaping my delicate inside and my intricate outside, and wove them all together in my mother's womb. Psalm 139:13 TPT

God knows them inside and out.

I thank you, God, for making me so mysteriously complex! Everything you do is marvelously breathtaking. It simply amazes me to think about it! How thoroughly you know me Lord! Psalm 139:14 TPT
 
Mysteriously complex. Children sometimes certainly are that to us, the parents. However our children are thoroughly known by the Lord. He has their number of days planned.

You saw who you created me to be before I became me! Before I'd ever seen the light of day, the number of days you planned for me were already recorded in your book. Psalm 139:16 TPT 
God has a unique plan for each of them. 

For I know the thoughts and plans that I have for you, says the Lord, thoughts and plans for welfare and peace and not for evil, to give you hope in your final outcome. Jeremiah 29:11 AMP

The final outcome, always drawing us to Himself, that is where our Heavenly Father's focus is. He is interested in the heart. 

Beloved, we are God's children right now; however it is not yet apparent what we will become. But we do know that when it is finally made visible, we will be just like him, for we will see him as he truly is. And all who focus their hope on him will always be purifying themselves, just as Jesus is pure. 1 John 3:2-3 TPT

Not like me in those early parenting years, where my focus was more on trying to make my workload as easy as possible - arranging for them to all do the same things because it suited my schedule! Thankfully God's grace is sufficient for my selfishness.

God doesn't want our children's unique gifts and talents squashed because it doesn't fit with our thoughts, plans and schedules. No, He wants them understand their uniqueness, and to embrace and love it, because He has created them that way for His purposes. We as parents have the privilege of helping our children on this journey of discovery. 

Of course all that I've written here this morning about  uniqueness and purpose, applies not only to our children, but also to us. We are created by God, valued by Him and loved by Him. We are set apart, with a heavenly calling.

And so, dear brothers and sisters, you are now made holy, and each of you is invited to the feast of your heavenly calling. So fasten your thoughts fully unto Jesus, whom we embrace as our Apostle and King-priest. Hebrews 3:1 TPT

So today, let's not let our schedules get in the way of what God wants to do in and through us and those we love. Let's pray that God will help us today to fasten our thoughts fully unto Jesus, and giving ourselves and others space and permission to be all that God has called us to be.





No comments: