Saturday, December 15, 2018

Be strong and of good courage


Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9 NKJV

There is a song, "Take Courage" by Bethel Music, here are some of its lyrics,

'Hold on to your hope as your triumph unfolds'

Oh that can be so hard to do, hold on; press in; stand. But sometimes there is no other choice. We have to believe that our triumph will unfold. And that we can learn to worship God in the waiting, something that I believe we only truly learn in those deep dark moments.

I remember a milestone moment in my constant journey of learning how to trust God more, and more, and more, and more. It relates to our daughter Victoria, and happened  about 4.5 years when we had just found out that the tumour had started to grow for the third time.

There was a choice to be made - continue to live in fear that the tumour would continue to grow, or choose to live each day to the full - trusting God that no matter what happens He would get us through this. God helped us with making that choice by taking us to a Camp Quality camp where His Word - John 10:10 was displayed on posters in the dining hall.

"I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." John 10:10

That visual message was the starting point for helping me to change my hopeless thinking. I say starting point, because although God had given me that clear sign with the posters, those feelings of hopelessness didn't just go away overnight. They had to be attended to, and over-time they got quieter and quieter and God's truth got louder and louder in my head.  

Here is a bit of what that process required ...

An Awareness of what my focus was on - diagnosis vs declaration of faith (John 10:10)

Action to replace those thoughts of hopelessness and fear with God's truth

Acknowledging that I couldn't do that replacement in my own strength.

Asking God daily to help me take that action.

Allowing God to do that work in me - not resisting, but instead surrendering. And only then I could ....

Authentically worship God, despite the circumstances because He was restoring my hope in Him.

Pressing into Him in the waiting season, learning to trust that not only would He get us through, but that His triumph would unfold - no matter what - here or in Heaven, has been a huge journey - and it continues now only in different spheres of our lives. 

But it is a journey that despite the pain, I would not swap because it has grown a greater hope, a stronger faith and a deeper understanding of God's love for us.

So today, as you face the circumstances in your life, why not take a deep breath and say to God, 

Okay God, I'm trusting You with this, please help me to grow in hope, faith and love through this situation. I choose to worship You. Thank you that you are with us wherever we go and that will get us through this day. Thank you that our triumph will unfold because of Who you are and what you have done. In Jesus Name, Amen.

Lord, I will worship you with extended hands as my whole heart explodes with praise! I will tell everyone about your wonderful works and how your marvellous miracles exceed expectations! I will jump for joy and shout in triumph as I sing your song and make music for the Most High God. Psalm 9:1-2 TPT

No comments: