Thursday, September 5, 2013

Who or what has first place in your life?

Here is a question to ponder today, Who or What has first place in your life? 

I found myself asking that question as I was reading my bible this morning, reading 1 John 5:21

Little children, keep yourselves from idols (false gods) - [from anything and everything that would occupy the place in your heart due to God, from any sort of substitute for Him that would take first place in your life]. Amen (so let it be). (AMP)

The New Living Translation simply says, 

Dear children, keep away from anything that might take God's place in your heart.

Sometimes our lives get so cluttered with things that we think are imperative. Imperative that we "have this". Imperative that we "do this".  But are these things really so important in the big scheme of thing? Are they taking up space in your heart and mind that is meant to be filled with the things of God?

Sometimes I get despondent about various parts of our house that could do with renovating. Thoughts of how the house could be different and what we could do about it start to consume my mind. This "project" becomes top of mind for the day. As soon as I wake up i am writing down ideas about what improvements can be made that day.

And then I feel the conviction of the Holy Spirit as He reminds me that firstly Jesus didn't have a magnificent home here on earth that He spent hours getting 'just right', but rather He focused completely on doing God's will. And secondly the Holy Spirit reminds me that there are many many people in this world who barely have a room to live in, let alone a 4 bedroom house. The Syrian refugees come to mind this morning. 

I then realise that "our house" has subtly taken first place in my life. It has consumed my mind and heart. It is time to ask forgiveness and put Jesus back into first place in my life!

The question for today, who or what has first place in your life today?




No comments: