Saturday, November 14, 2015

I am a child of God

For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. For [the Spirit which] you have now received [is] not a spirit of slavery to put you once more in bondage to fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption [the Spirit producing sonship] in [the bliss of] which we cry, Abba (Father)! Father! The Spirit Himself [thus] testifies together with our own spirit, [assuring us] that we are children of God. Romans 8:14-16 AMP


Often before I start my morning devotions I sing No Longer Slaves from Bethel MusicI love singing loudly, "I am no longer a slave to fear, I am a child of God." What a great declaration to make at the beginning of the day. A declaration of who I really am - a child of God. A declaration that because of who we are in Christ Jesus, we have the victory.

Little children, you are of God [you belong to Him] and have [already] defeated and overcome them [the agents of the antichrist], because He Who lives in you is greater (mightier) than he who is in the world. 1 John 4:4 AMP

We belong to God. We are His children. He has made a way for us to come back into relationship with Him, to commune with Him, to sit in His presence and know His love. The bridge of the song, No longer slaves, says...

You split the sea so I could walk right through it
All my fears were drowned in perfect love
You rescued me so I could stand and sing
I am a child of God 

He has made a way where there was seemingly no way for every single person on this earth, including you and me. 

He came to that which belonged to Him [to His own] - His domain, creation, things, world], and they who were His own did not receive Him and did not welcome Him. But as many as did receive Him and welcome Him, He gave the authority (power, privilege, right) to become children of God, that is, to those who believe in (adhere to, trust in, and rely on) His name - Who owe their birth neither to blood nor to the will of the flesh [that of physical impulse] nor to the will of man [that of a natural father], but to God. [They are born of God!]. John 1:11-13 AMP

Question for today, are we living out of this knowledge that we are children of God? Are we living in the freedom that He has won for us? Another part of the song says,

We've been liberated from our bondage
We're the sons and daughters, let us sing our freedom

Today, let's make the declaration, "I am no longer a slave to fear, I am a child of God." And let's ask God to show us how to really live out of that truth.

But you belong to God, my dear children. You have already won a victory over those people, because the Spirit who lives in you is greater than the spirit who lives in the world. 1 John 4:4 NLT















No comments: