Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Tranquility

My son, forget not my law or teaching, but let your heart keep my commandments; For length of days and years of a life [worth living] and tranquility [inward and outward and continuing through old age till death], these shall they add to you. Proverbs 3:1-2 AMP

Tranquility [inward and outward and continuing through old age till death] - that is one thing I yearn for. Some days it is there, but other days the entire idea of tranquility seems to be a hugely foreign concept. Yesterday was one such day! My mind spent most of the day going through various options to resolve a situation, exhausting myself in the process. I certainly wasn't heeding this scripture .....

Be not wise in your own eyes; reverently fear and worship the Lord and turn [entirely] away from evil. It shall be health to your nerves and sinews, and marrow and moistening to your bones. 
Proverbs 3:7-8 AMP

The Message Bible puts it this way

Don't assume you know it all. Run to GOD! Run from evil! Your body will glow with health, your very bones will vibrate with life! Proverbs 3:7-8 AMP

My nerves were frazzled. I wasn't vibrating with life. I was striving, rather than resting and handing over my concerns to Jesus, and leaving them with Him. I needed time to sit and be still, but my day was so full - even the 10 minutes to sit in my car at school pick up and read a devotion had evaded me. 

Finally, just after 9pm, in the car by myself, with some worship music on, I was at last able let go of the striving, and let God (not Wendy) be Lord of my life. Tranquility - inward and outward. A tranquility that enabled me to hear clearly not only things about my own life, but for another as well. Thank you Jesus.

So my learning from the day - stop, take captive those thoughts (strivings) immediately, submit them to the Lord, and wait for His response. Don't keep trying to work it out myself after praying and "surrendering" it.  I need to improve my 'casting'.

Casting the whole of your care [all your anxieties, all your worries, all your concerns, once and for all] on Him, for He cares for you affectionately and cares about you watchfully. 1 Peter 5:7 AMP

I know God has been trying to teach me this lesson for a while. And I know I will most likely fail at it again in the future, but hopefully less times than in the past. Thankfully He loves me (and you) and doesn't give up on me (or you).

Question for today, are you lacking tranquility in your life? Are you casting your cares completely, or like me doing a partial cast, still wanting to hold onto the line? If yes, let's take time today to have a conversation with God about 'why' we are struggling to cast our cares completely. What is it in us that is holding us back from living out of His tranquility? 

My prayer for us today ....

The Lord lift up His [approving] countenance upon you and give you peace (tranquility of heart and life continually). Numbers 6:26 AMP

No comments: