Thursday, March 16, 2017

How does God speak to you? - Part 1

'How does God speak to you specifically and why do you think He speaks to you in this way?'

I was asked this question a month ago. After some thought I came up with at least six ways that God speaks to me about things for myself, and encouragement for others. Today I am going to share about the first two on the list.

Firstly, through His word. The Bible is not just a book of stories and instructions, it is God-breathed.

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. 2 Timothy 3:16 NKJV

Over the past six years I have found that every time I have opened my Bible (I am now using the Olive Tree Bible Apps), something that I have read has spoken directly to my heart. It is like a little light bulb going off in my head and/or heart. Sometimes, though it is like a very big spotlight! A lot of the time it has been encouragement, a reminder that God loves me and He is with us. Sometimes it is reproof, showing me that a realignment in my thoughts and actions is required.


For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Hebrews 4:12 NKJV


When I read my Bible now, I read with an expectancy that God will speak to me.  And I am never disappointed. I look forward to that time each morning, knowing that I will hear directly from my loving Heavenly Father.

The second way that God speaks me is in times of singing praise and worship to Him. Sometimes it takes a couple of verses of singing for me to put aside the thoughts about what has been happening prior to the time of worship, and fully focus on Him and Who He is. 

Oh come, let us sing to the LORD! Let us shout joyfully to the Rock of our salvation. Let us come before His presence with thanksgiving; Let us shout joyfully to Him with psalms. Psalm 95:1-2 NKJV

During these times of worship God speaks to me in a different way that when I read His word, it is more of an overwhelming sense of His love for me and a deeper appreciation of what Jesus has done for me. For example, those lines in Amazing Grace...

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me
I once was lost but now am found

They always remind me that God loves me and thought I was worth saving. And He thinks the same of you. So often I find myself in tears in times of worship, so overcome with His love and grace.

In some of the darkest moments of the past six years, there have been times in worship where it has been as though God has deposited something in me, causing me to rise up. I remember being at the Hillsong conference in 2012 when the Cornerstone album was released. We had found out two weeks prior that the tumour in Victoria's brain had re-grown by 40% and that she would be starting chemotherapy treatment when we returned from the conference. Every time I sang the words of Cornerstone, it was a if God was reminding me that He was there in the midst and He is Lord, reminding me to keep my eyes focused on Jesus.

Christ alone; cornerstone
Weak made strong, in the Saviour's love
Through the storm, He is Lord
Lord of all

Question for today, how does God speak to you? I pray that what I have shared today will remind you that your Heavenly Father wants to speak to you, and He has many different ways of telling you how much He loves you. In my next post I will share the some other ways God speaks to me. 

Cause me to hear Your loving-kindness in the morning, for on You do I lean and in You do I trust. Cause me to know the way wherein I should walk, for I lift up my inner soul to You. Psalm 143:8 AMP

No comments: