Wednesday, March 7, 2018

A heart soft towards Jesus

This week I have been reminded again of what it is to have a soft heart towards Jesus. On Sunday night at church during the worship time, I see one of our children is starting to cry. We leave the service and for about 15 minutes the sobbing (sometimes wailing) continues. A beautiful God-fearing lady joins us for prayer.

Later that evening at home I ask, why did you start crying? The response, "In the worship I had a picture of Jesus in the garden and then on The Cross and it made me sad."

Okay, that was not the response what I was expecting. Upset due to a squabble between siblings as we entered church, maybe. But not this heart-felt response to Jesus' pain and suffering. His pain and suffering for us.

Personally I've never experienced that depth of response. I remember the first time I heard about the crucifixion process in great detail, and yes it brought tears to my eyes. But not like the sobbing I witnessed on Sunday night.  

Over the years a friend and I have been praying for this next generation, that God will soften hearts and young people will respond to Jesus (and I know that thousands of others pray that same prayer). As I write this blog post I realise that this is exactly what I witnessed on Sunday night - a child's soft heart responding to Jesus' act of love for her. 

So let's continue to pray for this next generation, for their hearts to be soft towards Jesus, that His love will overwhelm them, and they will call Him their Lord and Saviour.

For "whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved." Romans 10:13 

This generation needs Jesus. They need truth. They need hope. They need to know where to go to find real life.

The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. John 10:10 NKJV






No comments: