Wednesday, August 22, 2018

We always need God

In the early years of our journey with Victoria one of the songs that echoed the cry of my heart was Matt Redman's, 'I need You now.' Here are some of the lyrics ...


On this thirsty desert ground,
In a dry and barren land,
I bow down
I need You now
You will call and I will come
To Your river I will run
I bow down
I need You now
Oh, living water. Oh, God, my Savior,
If I ever needed You, I need You now
Oh, living water, Oh, God, my Healer,
If I ever needed You, I need You now
Often I would sing (yell) it with tears streaming down my face, needing to know that He was near, that we were not left or forsaken.

Be strong and of good courage; do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the LORD your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you. Deuteronomy 31:6 NKJV

Now we are in a different season. Hallelujah! And while there is not such a desperate sense of wondering where God is and what He is doing, there is still a great need for Him in our daily lives. As He takes the good work (now we can look back and see it as good work) that He has done in each of us over the past 8 years and enlarges us in different ways, our reliance on Him grows even more as we seek to do what He wants us to do. There is a much stronger tethering between God and us.

For me as aspects of my life increase there is still a constant cry out to God, but rather than the 'I am struggling, please help me get through this day,' it is an 'Okay God, you've given me these things to do, please order my steps, show me what to write, teach me how to lead well, help me listen more to Your Spirit and operate in your perfect timing. I need You now.'

Praise God that through those very challenging years He taught me that I cannot do my life without Him. And that He is always there. He is always listening. 

But praises rise to God,
for he paid attention to my prayer and answered my cry to him!
I will forever praise this God who didn't close his heart when I prayed and never said no when I asked him for help.
He never once refused to show me his tender love.
Psalm 66:19-20 TPT

Yes, sometimes God doesn't answer our prayers in the way that we think He should, and in these times we need to know in our hearts that regardless of what did or did not happen, He never refuses to show us his tender love. It's just that it looks different from His perspective because He has the big picture view. 

We always need God in some way, to help us in the struggles, in the times of overwhelm, when we need direction and purpose and when we need love and comfort. So let's chose to stay connected no matter what is going on, and live today knowing that nothing will separate us from His love.

Romans 8:38-39 is one of the scriptures that I had on the wall of our toilet room in some of those early years with Victoria. I would declare it out aloud to myself and also to the enemy reminding him Who I belonged to and who had the victory.

So now I live with the confidence that there is nothing in the universe with the power to separate us from God's love. I'm convinced that his love will triumph over death, life's troubles, fallen angels, or dark rulers in the heavens. There is nothing in our present or our future circumstances that can weaken his love. There is no power above us or beneath us - no power that could ever be found in the universe that can distance us from God's passionate love, which is lavished upon us through Lord Jesus, the Anointed One! Romans 8:38-39 TPT

We need you Jesus, today and every day. Thank you that You are with us and Your love for us never fails.


No comments: