Friday, February 1, 2019

How do I keep my heart open to God?


"Keep your heart open to me," those are the words God whispered to me the other morning as I sat looking through the crystal clear water to the bottom of the lake. It was as though He was showing me how he wants my heart to be, so absolutely transparent. No outside disturbances like the slight breeze that was causing ripples in a less sheltered part of the lake. No pollution, like the impure water that flows from the storm water drain mixing in with the clean lake water.

The question is how? How do I keep my heart open to you Lord? How do I know when it isn't fully open? How do I know when I am subconsciously hiding something from you? You know what is hiding anyway!

This scripture comes to mind ... Psalm 51:10
Create a new, clean heart within me. Fill me with pure thoughts and holy desires, ready to please you. Psalm 51:10 TPT

So is that the answer? Ask you God to create a new clean heart within me? Ask the Holy Spirit to prompt me to sit quietly with you and wait for you to give me a word? And upon hearing that word I will know immediately, an aha moment, a revelation of yes that does need to be confessed. You always knew it was there. I just needed to acknowledge it, to confess it.

How happy and fulfilled are those whose rebellion has been forgiven, those whose sins are covered by blood. How blessed and relieved are those who have confessed their corruption to God! For he wipes their slates clean and removes hypocrisy from their hearts. Psalm 32:1-2 TPT

There it is - He wipes our slate clean and removes hypocrisy from our hearts. What peace comes after confession.

Then I finally admitted to you all my sins, refusing to hide them any longer. I said, "My life-giving God, I will openly acknowledge my evil actions." And you forgave me! All at one the guilt of my sin washed away and all my pain disappeared! Pause in his presence. Psalm 32:5 TPT

Pause in his presence.  How often to we really do that? Completely pause in his presence?

This is something God spoke to me about at the end of last year - the need to more often pause in his presence. In fact, He gave me a very specific scripture .... Genesis 24:21 ..

And the man, wondering at her, remained silent so as to know whether the LORD has made his journey prosperous or not. Genesis 24:21 NKJV

The key words for me were the 'remained silent so as to know whether the LORD', ie for me to remain silent until God speaks. So for the first month of this year, once a week I have gone to a peaceful place and sat, remaining silent until God speaks. After only four weeks it has become one of my favourite times in my week. It is a weekly appointment that I certainly don't want to miss. I still have my daily time with God early each morning, and conversations throughout the day, but they are more times of two way communication. Whereas this weekly appointment is time set aside to remain silent and wait until He speaks. I don't want to miss what he wants to say to me. Because it is always exactly what I need to hear, as Psalm 32 says,

I hear the Lord saying, "I will stay close to you, instructing and guiding you along the pathway for your life. I will advise you along the way and lead you forth with my eyes as your guide. So don't make it difficult; don't be stubborn when I take you where you've not been before. Don't make me tug you and pull you along. Just come with me!"
So my conclusion is this: Many are the sorrows and frustrations of those who don't come clean with God. But when you trust in the Lord for forgiveness, his wrap-around love will surround you. Psalm 32:8-10 TPT

Don't let pain, anger, fear and disappointment keep you from having an open heart towards God. Find that time to pause in his presence, listen to what he reveals, confess your sin, ask forgiveness and let him minister his love and kindness to you. Only then we can move towards loving God and others better.

No comments: