Friday, February 15, 2019

Stubborn or resolute?


In a recent conversation I was talking about a child being stubborn, and said laughingly, "Yes, that is something that runs in our family - stubbornness." 

Since that conversation I have thought a bit more about that word - stubborn - and even had a chat to God about it. What do we do with this stubbornness? And I felt him reply, "Not all stubbornness is bad."

Indeed there are a few definitions of stubbornness. The Mirriam Webster dictionary gives these ones ... unreasonably or perversely yielding; difficult to handle, manage or treat; and justifiably unyielding, resolute.

Justifiably unyielding. That is the one that I believe God was talking about. The stubbornness that means we ...
... won't give up on believing in His word as being the final word.

1 Peter 3:22 in The Message Bible says, Jesus has the last word on everything and everyone, from angels to armies. He’s standing right alongside God, and what he says goes.

Over the years I have done some tantrums reminding the enemy that he does not have the victory - only Jesus has the victory.  Stubbornly believing that God's promises are the only way forward. Not giving airplay to any other options.
... Stubbornness means that we will choose to believe that God loves us the same yesterday, today and tomorrow regardless of our thoughts, words and actions or inaction.

2 Corinthians 12:9 in the Amplified version says, But He said to me, My grace (My favor and loving-kindness and mercy) is enough for you [sufficient against any danger and enables you to bear the trouble manfully]; for My strength and power are made perfect (fulfilled and completed) and show themselves most effective in [your] weakness. Therefore, I will all the more gladly glory in my weaknesses and infirmities, that the strength and power of Christ (the Messiah) may rest (yes, may pitch a tent over and dwell) upon me.

Choosing to believe that despite what I have done or said, He is there, and He is listening, and He is willing to forgive me, and give me His new mercies day after day after day. 
... Stubbornness means that we will choose to believe that He will not leave us nor forsake us.

Joshua 1:9 in the NKJV says, Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.

Sometimes going into a challenging situation I visualise Jesus physically with me, fully expecting that I will sense His presence and that the Holy Spirit will give me the words to say. We do not walk alone.

Stubbornness, the resolute kind, is what we want. The resoluteness that Barnabas encouraged the believers in Antioch to have.

Then when he arrived and witnessed the grace of God, he rejoiced and began to encourage them all with resolute heart to remain true to the Lord; Acts 11:23 NASB

And so since that conversation and talking with God, my prayer has become, "God please take this stubbornness and use it for your good. Let there be a passion for you that is unyielding and resolute."

Or, in the words of Psalm 51:10

Create for me a pure heart, O God! Renew a resolute spirit within me! Psalm 51:10 NET

No comments: