Saturday, October 5, 2013

Your eyes focused and clear

But I do more than thank. I ask - ask the God of our Master, Jesus Christ, the God of glory - to make you intelligent and discerning in knowing him personally, your eyes focused and clear, so that you can see exactly what it is he is calling you to do, grasp the immensity of this glorious way of life he has for Christians, oh, the utter extravagance of his work is us who trust him - endless energy, boundless strength. Ephesians 1:16-19

What a great prayer for us to offer up to Jesus, asking to keep our 'eyes focused and clear', so we can move into a closer relationship with God and gain insight into His plan for our lives and the inner character He is building in us to help us fulfill his purpose.

For me there used to be many many times in the day when my eyes were not focused and clear on the purposes of God. Rather they were focused and clear on the purposes of Wendy! This selfish focus would cause all sorts of problems, especially when I was less than considerate of the people around me, in order to achieve my purposes! 

However, thankfully for me (and those around me), times have changed as I have begun to understand God's grace, and learn how to live out of grace, and extend grace to those who live life with me. I thank God that He is slowly making me more 'intelligent and discerning in knowing him personally', helping me to knowing and understand His amazing grace.

Of course there are still times when I am focused on the purposes of Wendy, but the more discernment I have about God, the more I recognize the nudge of the Holy Spirit, gently saying, 'whose purpose are you focusing on now?' 

Thankfully most times nowadays I stop and listen to that nudge, and check back in with God regarding my actions. When I do stop and listen, and often alter my plans in response, I find that I have the 'endless energy, boundless strength' that I need to complete the plans. I thank God that He always knows best.

Question for today, what are your eyes focused and clear on?  Do they need adjusting, if so, ask God to help you to be intelligent and discerning in knowing him personally. 








No comments: