Monday, October 21, 2013

Taking a long deep breath

The Message bible says in Exodus 31:17, It is a fixed sign between me and the Israelites, Yes because in six days God made the heavens and the Earth and on the seventh day he stopped and took a long deep breath.

I don't pretend to understand how God made the heavens and the Earth, I just believe that He did. I don't pretend to understand how He felt at the end of those six days. 

The Amplified bible says for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth and on the seventh day He ceased and was refreshed.

In my little life I am quickly learning the value of taking a long deep breath, of ceasing and making time to be refreshed. Yesterday I had the opportunity to 'cease' for almost three hours, by way of sitting on a train, in a 'quiet carriage', listening, uninterrupted to worship music. It was a much needed time of reflection on how good God has been to me, how perfect His timing has been. It was a time of drawing strength from meditating on the character of God and getting a great understanding of His essence.

The wave of emotions that passed through me in those three hours of ceasing and taking a long deep breath were most interesting. Starting with a time of 'getting settled', then moving to grieve and despair as I reflected on my circumstances. Then, aided by the song Sing Along from Passion's White Flag album, the Holy Spirit lifted my faith and filled me with hope for the future. 

As I alighted the train almost three hours later I felt like a completely different person, assured of God's love and reminded of His faithfulness. How important it was to take that long deep breath. Again God's timing was perfect.

Question for today, when was the last time you ceased and took a long deep breath, taking time to reflect on God and His character? How did you feel after that time of rest? If you feel like you need to rest again now, why not ask God to help make a way for that time to happen for you?






No comments: