Friday, October 11, 2013

Do this with humility and discipline

In the light of all this, here's what I want you to do. While I'm locked up here a prisoner for the Master, I want you to get out there and walk - better yet, run! on the road God called you to travel. I don't want any of you sitting around on your hands. I don't want anyone strolling off, down some path that goes nowhere. And mark that you do this with humility and discipline - not in fits and start, but steadily, pouring yourselves our for each other in acts of love, alert at noticing differences and quick at mending fences. Ephesians 4:1-3 The Message

What a challenge I felt this morning as I read this scripture, run on the road God has called you to, no strolling off, no fits and starts. That certainly is a challenge as other things in life can sometimes so easily become all consuming and distract us from the path God has called us to. 

The words 'humility' and 'discipline' really stood out for me, as two of the key character traits required to help one stay true to God's calling on your life.  As I started to ponder these two words and think about how difficult it can be to live a life exemplifying them, I felt God say to me, 'You don't have to strive in your own strength to be humble and disciplined, remember the fruit of the Spirit I have given to you.'

So my mind traveled to the scripture in Galatians 4:22, But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience  kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. (NIV)

This moment of revelation reminded me that God never asks us to do something that he hasn't equipped us for, or provided the help for us that we will need along the path. 

The Holy Spirit will help me to run on the road God has called me, and to run with humility and discipline, if I continually submit to His promptings. And that submission is another challenge for another day!

Yes, that is my prayer today, God, Thank you for providing all I need to stay on the path you have called me. Please help me to operate out of the fruit of the Spirit, so I do as you have called me to do, in the way you want me to do it.

Question for today, how are you travelling on the road God has called you to travel? Are you as humble and disciplined as you could be? Or are you like me, needing to constantly ask God for help to live out the fruit of the Spirit? Why not ask God for that help too?


No comments: