Thursday, March 6, 2014

Are you tired?

Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me - watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly.  Matthew 11:28 - 30 The Message


I don't know about you, but I know for myself so many times the answer to the first two questions is yes, I am tired, yes, I am worn out! It seems that sometimes 'life' just picks us up and carry's us away, unless we purposefully seek Jesus and His plan for us. 


Nowadays when I am feeling tired and worn out, if I have the insight to recognize these feelings before I reach the point of utter exhaustion, I do mostly make the choice to 'get away with Jesus' and allow Him to help me 'recover my life.' In practical terms getting away with Jesus may mean just sitting on a chair and saying, 'Enough Jesus, I can't do anymore, I need your strength to help me through the next hour,  day etc'.  

It is about me making a choice and taking the time to acknowledge I can't do it myself. I need Jesus. He knows what is best. He knows what is needed now. He has gone before me in this situation, this circumstance. He wants me to walk with Him and work with Him. 

Thank you Jesus that we can come to you any time, any place, anywhere, and you are always there waiting for us. Thank you that when we 'keep company with you' we do indeed 'learn to live freely and lightly.'

How would you answer the first three questions in this passage of scripture? Do you need to take time today, maybe even right now, to stop and 'get away with Jesus', to surrender your life? to surrender whatever is making you tired and worn out? He is waiting to keep company with you you.

No comments: