Friday, April 25, 2014

Become one heart and mind

I'm praying not only for them
But also for those who will believe in me
Because of them and their witness about me.
The goal is for all of them to become one heart and mind -
Just as you, Father are in me and I in you,
So they might be one heart and mind with us,
Then the world might believe that you, in fact, sent me.
The same glory you gave me, I gave them,
So they'll be as unified and together as we are - 
I in them and you in me.
Then they'll be mature in this oneness
And give the godless world evidence
That you've sent me and loved them
In the same way you've loved me.
John 17:20-23 The Message

Jesus is praying for us. The 'us' who believe in Him and the 'us' who will believe in Him.  He is praying for us to all become one heart and mind with Him. Us, all unified with Jesus, God and the Holy Spirit. And why is this unity so important? 

This display of unity, will help others to see who Jesus is and what He has done for all of us - And give the godless world evidence that you've sent me and loved them in the same way you've loved me.

Why is unity so difficult to achieve? Is it because unity provides a way of displaying God's unconditional love? A way of drawing people to Himself, so they will make the ultimate choice to be one with Him and have eternal life? 

We have an enemy, the devil, who roams around like a lion roaring [in fierce hunger], seeking someone to seize upon and devour 1 Peter 5:7b AMP. The enemy wants to break up the unity party! He wants to play havoc with any display of togetherness of us who know and love Jesus. What sort of a witness is infighting and division to the world? How much focus to we lose on the great commission when we are battling against ourselves? 

We must continually be checking our hearts, asking ourselves is there anything we are doing that is hindering the unity of God's people? We can ask for God's help with this heart health check and pray 'create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right, persevering, and steadfast spirit within me.' Psalm 51:10 AMP

Questions for today, what action are you taking to increase unity in the body of Christ? Why not ask God to show you something that you specifically can do to to further His cause of unity so the world can see and experience His love for them? 

No comments: