Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The Comforter

But the Comforter (Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener, Standby), the Holy Spirit, Whom the Father will send in My name [in My place, to represent Me and act on My behalf], He will teach you all things. And He will cause you to recall (will remind you of, bring to your remembrance) everything I have told you. Peace I leave with you; My [own] peace I now give and bequeath to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. [Stop allowing yourselves to be agitated and disturbed; and do not permit yourselves to be fearful and intimidated and cowardly and unsettled.]  John 14:26,27 (AMP)

As life rushes along, sometimes becoming overwhelming, it can be easy to forget that we have our own counselor living each moment with us. A counselor who is ready and available to comfort us. A helper who will guide us to make the right decisions. A strengthener who will help us to continue on when disappointment strikes. An intercessor, the absolutely best intercessor, who knows all our innermost needs and thoughts. 

"The rush of life" has a lot to answer for. Whilst we are doing "The rush" it is very difficult to 'Be still, and know that I am God;" Psalm 46:10 "The rush" can create an environment that leads to agitation. We can find ourselves asking questions like, Why isn't this ready for me now? Why did they take so long? This delay is causing me to be late.  At these times we are certainly not receiving the peace that Jesus left for us. Rather we are living "the rush" and all it's consequences.

What if, when a circumstance comes along that could lead to agitation and frustration, what if we took a few moments to breathe, 'Be still' and ask the Counselor to show us what this circumstance is really about.  What if we asked, What is that my Heavenly Father is trying to teach me in this circumstance? What part of His character is He wanting me to see and understand more about? Imagine how our understanding and appreciation of God's love for us would grow. 

Question for today, next time a situation arises that causes you to become agitated, why not let your first reaction be to call on The Comforter, the One who knows all your needs and listen to what He has to say about the circumstance? And learn to live "the peace" that Jesus has gifted to you rather than "the rush" that the world gives.



No comments: