Thursday, July 31, 2014

This is too much, too wonderful

God, investigate my life; get all the facts firsthand.
I am an open book to you; 
even from a distance, you know what I'm thinking.
You know when I leave and when I get back;
I'm never out of your sight.
You know everything I'm going to say before I start the first sentence.
I look behind me and you're there, 
then up ahead and you're there too - 
your reassuring presence, coming and going.
This is too much, too wonderful - I can't take it all in!
Psalm 139:1-6 MSG

As I read this scripture my heart is saying, this is truly is wonderful, and indeed I can't take it all in. The thought that the creator of the universe knows me, Wendy Robinson, so intimately. And guess what, He knows you so intimately too!

Jehovah-rohi, God as the shepherd. Here is what Nathan Stone in His book, Names of God, has to say about God the Shepherd and Psalm 139,

"Jehovah-rohi is not only the Shepherd of His people, He is my Shepherd, the Shepherd of each one of His people. As the God of the individual He was intensely personal ..... The psalm (139) is full of personal pronouns. It is the psalm of personal experience with a personal God to whom every sheep of the fold is precious and His particular care. Since its experiences are common and its emotions familiar, we may claim it each one for himself ."(p171)

Our God is a personal God. He knows absolutely everything about us from from our very beginnings. Nothing about us is hidden from Him. Absolutely nothing, as Psalm 139 reminds us.

My frame was not hidden from You when I was being formed in secret [and] intricately and curiously wrought [as if embroidered with various colours] in the depths of the earth [a region of darkness and mystery]. Your eyes saw my unformed substance, and in Your book all the days [of my life] were written before ever they took shape, when as yet there was none of them. How precious and weighty also are Your thoughts to me, O God! How vast is the sum of them! If I could count them, they would be more in number than the sand. When I awoke, [could I count to the end] I would still be with You. Psalm 139:15-18 AMP

It really is very hard to comprehend that God has that 'uncountable' number of thoughts, not only about you and me, but about every human being on the planet.  That is over 7 billion people according to worldodometers. 

It is even harder to comprehend, for me anyway, that even though He know all about me, the thoughts in my head, the words I am going to say, the actions I am going to do, both the good and the bad and the very ugly, He still loves me. He loves me with an intense love. He still wants to have a personal relationship with me. 

But God - so rich is He in His mercy! Because of and in order to satisfy the great and wonderful and intense love with which He loved us, even when we were dead (slain) by [our own] shortcomings and trespasses, He made us alive together in fellowship and in union with Christ; [He gave us the very life of Christ Himself, the same new life with which He quickened Him, for] it is by grace (His favour and mercy which you did not deserve) that you are saved (delivered from judgement and made partakers of Christ's salvation). Ephesians 2:4-5 AMP

He wants to have a personal relationship with you. He has a great and wonderful and intense love for you too. His grace, favour and mercy, is available to you too, today!

Question for today, have you recently taken time to sit in wonder at the wonderful love God has for you? Why not take the time right now to mediate on the above scriptures and let God speak His intense love for you directly into your heart. Be an open book to Him and feel His reassuring presence.

O LORD, You are my God; I will exalt You, I will praise Your name, for You have done wonderful things, even purposes planned of old [and fulfilled] in faithfulness and truth. Isaiah 25:1 AMP


No comments: