Saturday, December 6, 2014

Not to us

NOT TO us, O Lord, not to us but to Your name give glory, for Your mercy and loving-kindness and for the sake of Your truth and faithfulness! Psalm 115:1 AMP

Who are you giving glory to today? What is glory? In this context glory can be defined as 'adoring praise and thanksgiving' (The Australian Concise Oxford Dictionary).

Have you taken time today to praise and thank God for His mercy and loving-kindness? I find I don't have to look far to find an example of His mercy and loving-kindness in my life. The fact that I am now in right-standing with my Heavenly Father is an indescribable act of mercy. Me, who, when I was 20 declared at the family dinner table, 'I don't believe in God anymore.' I had decided to completely turn my back on all I was bought up to believe. I was going down my own path of giving myself the glory. I traveled my own path for about six years, until through God's grace and some very faithful Christians, He bought me to a place of revelation and repentance. God had mercy on me.

It is because of the Lord's mercy and loving-kindness that we are not consumed, because His [tender] compassions fail not. They are new every morning; great and abundant is Your stability and faithfulness. Lamentations 3:22-23 AMP

Today, with all that has happened in my life in the past 20 years I am so thankful for His mercy. I am thankful for all he has changed in me over the years, for all the sharp and ugly edges He has chipped away. I know there are more to be removed, and that is good. I don't want to stay still in God, I want to keep maturing and living life God's way. I can say in all honesty,

The Lord is my portion or share, says my living being (my inner self); therefore I will hope in Him and wait expectantly for Him. The Lord is good to those who wait hopefully and expectantly for Him, to those who seek Him [inquire of and for Him and require Him by right of necessity and on the authority of God's word]. Lamentations 3:24-25 AMP

Question for today, who or what are you giving glory to? Let's take time today to consider the mercy and loving-kindness God has given us, and give Him our adoring praise and thanks.

It is a good and delightful thing to give thanks to the Lord, to sing praises [with musical accompaniment] to Your name, O Most High, to show forth Your loving-kindness in the morning and Your faithfulness by night, with an instrument of ten strings and with the lute, with a solemn sound upon the lyre. For You, O Lord, have made me glad by Your works; at the deeds of Your hands I joyfully sing. How great are Your doings, O Lord! Your thoughts are very deep. Psalm 92:1-5 AMP

No comments: