Thursday, April 9, 2015

Dominion and intimacy

To Him be the dominion (power, authority, rule) forever and ever. Amen (so be it). 1 Peter 5:11 AMP

Dominion. The Oxford dictionary defines dominion as sovereignty, control. The Message Bible has 1 Peter 5:11 as

He gets the last word; yes, he does.

How re-assuring is it to know that Our Heavenly Father has sovereignty and control over everything. He gets the last word. His dominion is enduring, it doesn't end.

Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and Your dominion endures throughout all generations. Psalm 145:13 AMP

This level of sovereignty is difficult for us to fathom. For most of us we can only begin to imagine the complexities of what it would be like to be the leader of a country or a global organisation. We can not even start to wrap our mind around what it would be like to have dominion over everything, everywhere, forever!

What I find even more mind-boggling is that not only does God have sovereignty from afar but He has an intimate knowledge of, and love for each of us, from before we were born, until when we see Him face to face in heaven.

My frame was not hidden from You when I was being formed in secret [and] intricately and curiously wrought [as if embroidered with various colours] in the depths of the earth [a region of darkness and mystery]. Your eyes saw my unformed substance, and in Your book all the days [of my life] were written before they ever took shape, when as yet there was none of them. Psalm 139:15-16 AMP

As I child I knew about God who had dominion over everything, the creator of the universe. But it wasn't until my mid-twenties that I came to know God as my Heavenly Father. A loving, gracious God who knew me from before I was born, and who knows what I am thinking, saying and doing. 

I'm an open book to you; even from a distance, you know what I'm thinking. You know when I leave and when I get back; I'm never out of your sight. You know everything I'm going to say before I start the first sentence. I look behind me and you're there, then up ahead and you're there too - your reassuring presence, coming and going. Psalm 139:2-5 The Message

God's reassuring presence has been and still is, the place I chose to take refuge when the going gets tough. A place of true intimacy, grace, mercy and love. 

Question for today, do you know God as both the God who has dominion over all, and the God who knows you intimately, desiring a personal relationship with you? If you are not quite sure about the personal relationship side of God, why not open your heart to Him and start with asking Him to be your friend? Then wait, respond and watch your relationship develop.

To the one only God, our Saviour through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory (splendor), majesty, might and dominion, and power and authority, before all time and now and forever (unto all the ages of eternity). Amen (so be it). Jude 1:25 AMP

No comments: