Tuesday, April 7, 2015

The lifter of my head

But You, O Lord, are a shield for me, my glory, and the lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3 AMP

Yesterday my head hung low. Everything in life seemed overwhelming. My thoughts swung between the pain of families with seriously ill children, to the on-going-ness of having a child with 'special needs', to the seemingly lack of significance of the everyday chores of being a mum. 

With my voice I cry to the Lord, and He hears and answers my out of His holy hill. Selah [pause, and calmly think of that]! Psalm 3:4 AMP

Mid-morning, the door bell rang. One of our thoughtful neighbours was at the front gate and offered to take some of the children to the park for the morning. Jesus had heard the cry of my heart and knew I needed some time and space to be able to 'pause and calmly think on' His word, His truth for my life. Some time for me to allow Him to be the lifter of my head, so I could lift my inner self to Him.

Cause me to hear Your loving-kindness in the morning, for on you do I lean and in You do I trust. Cause me to know the way wherein I should walk, for I lift up my inner self to You. Psalm 143:8 AMP

In the peace and quiet I was able to hear His loving-kindness in the morning. I was able to read and think and pray and sleep. The reading involved a mixture of the Psalms, and a book I was given called, Found - A story of questions, grace and everyday prayer, by Micha Boyett.  Here are a couple of passages from the book...

In The Politics of the Brokenhearted, Parker Palmer tells a story of a disciple who asks why the Torah teaches followers of Jewish law to "place these words upon your hearts." 
"Why does it not tell us to place these holy words in our hearts?" the disciple asks.
The rabbi answers this way: "It is because as we are, our hearts are closed, and we cannot place the holy words in our hearts. So we place them on top of our hearts. And there they stay until one day the heart breaks and the words fall in." p 141

Sometimes belief is off in the sunshine while I'm coated in fog, cold and uncertain, trapped by a sky that feels too heavy to penetrate. But hope lives here, still: God's Word on my brittle heart, full of possibilities, already dripping through the cracks. p 143.

Yesterday, by the end of the day, my head had been lifted up. Lifted by a Heavenly Father who knew exactly what I needed physically, emotionally and spiritually.  The truth of God's word was dripping through the cracks of my heart. I had finished the day with greater revelation of His love for me. Thank you Jesus.

Question for today, is your head hanging low? Do you need your heavenly Father to be the 'lifter of your head'? Come to Him now, ask Him to be your shield and help you to come to a place where you can lift your inner self to Him.

May Christ through your faith [actually] dwell (settle down, abide, make His permanent home) in your hearts! May you be rooted deep in love and founded securely on love, That you may have the power and be strong to apprehend and grasp with all the saints [God's devoted people, the experience of that love] what is the breadth and length and height and depth [of it]; [That you may really come] to know [practically, through experience for yourselves] the love of Christ, which far surpasses mere knowledge [without experience]; that you may be filled [through all your being] unto all the fullness of God [may have the richest measure of the divine Presence, and become a body wholly filled and flooded with God Himself]! Ephesians 3:17-19 AMP

Selah [pause and calmly think on that]! 


No comments: