Monday, September 25, 2017

My God will meet me



O my Strength, I will watch and give heed to You and sing praises; for God is my Defense (my Protector and High Tower). My God in His mercy and steadfast love will meet me; God will let me look [triumphantly] on my enemies (those who lie in wait for me). Psalm 59:9-10

The day after my previous blog post we were presented with yet another opportunity to learn how to dance upon disappointment. A child with a broken arm, who for various reasons required a two night stay in hospital. Staying in hospital again was a bit surreal with nurses lovingly embracing our family, as they have done now for almost seven years. When I inquired how another child was feeling about being at the hospital again, they said something like, 'It's like home'. 

Hospital. Home. God. Thankfully God always meets us exactly where we are. 

My God in His mercy and steadfast love will meet me;
Psalm 59:9a

We don't need to be in a specific place, at a specific time to experience His mercy and steadfast love. He is always available, no matter where we are.

Where could I go from Your Spirit? Or where could I flee from Your presence? If I ascend up into heaven, You are there; if I make my bed in Sheol (the place of the dead), behold, You are there. If I take the wings of the morning or dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall Your hand lead me, and Your right hand shall hold me. Psalm 139:7-10 AMP

When we were completing the hospital admission papers, the administrator asked us if we wanted a visit from the chaplain. I said, 'yes'. She responded, 'You are the first one today to say yes.' Interesting. It was 5.30pm in the afternoon.

Our daughter was discharged two days later. We did not receive a visit from the chaplain. Thankfully we weren't reliant on the chaplain's visit to commune with and experience the presence of God (although it would have been great to have a visit). We didn't need to wait for a specific person to be a go-between between us and God. We have Jesus. He makes a way and understands.



For we do not have a High Priest Who is unable to understand and sympathize and have a shared feeling with our weaknesses and infirmities and liability to the assaults of temptation, but One Who has been tempted in every respect as we are, yet without sinning. Let us then fearlessly and confidently and boldly draw near to the throne of grace (the throne of God's unmerited favour to us sinners), that we may receive mercy [for our failures] and find grace to help in good time for every need [appropriate help and well-timed help, coming just when we need it]. Hebrews 4:15-16 AMP


Yes, our God will always meet us with mercy and steadfast love. We don't need a place or person, we just need to be still, humble ourselves and open our hearts and receive what He has for us. Hospital. Home. God is there.

Question for today, do you believe that God can and will meet you, right where you are? That He will meet you with mercy and steadfast love like you have never experienced before? If you aren't sure, stop, be still and ask Him and wait. My prayer is that you will be flooded with His mercy and love.

But I will sing of Your mighty strength and power; yes I will sing aloud of Your mercy and loving-kindness in the morning; for You have been to me a defense (a fortress and a high tower) and a refuge in the day of my distress. Unto You, O my Strength, I will sing praises; for God is my Defense, my Fortress, and High Tower, the God Who shows me mercy and steadfast love. Psalm 59:16-17 AMP

No comments: