Thursday, September 28, 2017

Faith for the long haul

Something happened in our home yesterday, and it was only this morning, in my quiet time, that God showed me it was an answer to many many years of prayer. Sometimes throughout those years I had verbalised the prayer. Other times it had been a cry of my heart. God reminded me that He is faithful. 

God is faithful (reliable, trustworthy, and therefore ever true to His promise, and He can be depended on); by Him you were called into companionship and participation with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. 1 Corinthians 1:9 AMP

He reminded me to not give up on any of His promises.

But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who believe and are saved. Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. This is what the ancients were commended for. Hebrews 10:39-11:1 NIV

He reminded me that nothing is impossible for Him.

For with God nothing is every impossible and no word from God shall be without power or impossible fulfillment. Luke 1:37 AMP

He reminded me to be patient with other promises and desires He has put in my heart.

Be still and rest in the Lord; wait for Him and patiently lean yourself upon Him. Psalm 37:7a AMP

He reminded me to be thankful in the waiting time.

Thank [God] in everything [no matter what the circumstances may be, be thankful and give thanks], for this is the will of God for you [who are] in Christ Jesus [the Revealer and Mediator of that will]. 
1 Thessalonians 5:18 AMP 

He reminded me that He is sovereign and things will always happen in His timing - not mine. 

To everything there is a season, and a time for every matter or purpose under heaven: Ecclesiastes 3:1 AMP

Question for today, are you struggling to have faith for the long haul in some area of your life? I know what it's like to be there. 

For me in those times one of the things that sustained me was doing a word study. For example about four years ago I desperately wanted to learn to live in peace despite the circumstances so I spent months reading all the scriptures that spoke about peace. Reading them, re-reading them, asking God to help me understand His peace at a heart level, and live out of His truth -

Peace I leave with you; My [own] peace I now give and bequeath to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. [Stop allowing yourselves to be agitated and disturbed; and do not permit yourselves to be fearful and intimidated and cowardly and unsettled]. John 14:27 AMP

No comments: