Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Say yes to God and no to distractions

So let God work his will in you. Yell a loud no to the Devil and watch him scamper. Say a quiet yes to God and he'll be there in no time. Quit dabbling in sin. Purify your inner life. Quit playing the field. Hit bottom, and cry your eyes out. The fun and games are over. Get serious, really serious. Get down on your knees before the Master, it's the only way you'll get on your feet. James 4:7-10 The Message

I don't seem to find (or make) time to read books, other than The Bible, during the busy-ness of life. However I have found the opportunity to listen to audio books on various long drives is a great blessing. The bonus is that when the children get tired  of playing with their ipads, they get to glean a bit of the knowledge too, and often a good conversation is sparked. 

Anyway, last week we went to Sydney for the day and I was listening to 'Billy Graham: Leading with Love'. One part has stayed with me for the past few days. They were describing how Billy Graham had great clarity on the mission God had give him to do, and resolved to do only what aligned with that mission. 

The book described some of the conflict that was sometimes caused when Billy Graham said no to things that other people thought he should do, because it didn't line up with what he knew God had asked him to do. For example, Billy Graham was approached to start a university. The finance and land had been pledged, but Billy did not feel that project was part of God's call on his life, so he said no.

Yesterday I was reading the above scripture from James, it may be more familiar in the NKJV or NIV,

Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Lament and mourn and weep! Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up. James 4:7-10 NKJV

So for me a few prayer points came out of the story and scripture. They all started with 'please help me'.

Heavenly Father, 
Please help me to yield and let your will work in me.
Please help me to only do what You want me to do.
Please help me to recognise distractions and say no.
Please help me to quit dabbling in sin.
Please help me to purify my inner life.
Please help me to be humble in Your sight.
In Jesus Name, Amen

It was with a bit of hesitation that I prayed that last request, as I know what has happened when I have prayed about being humble before - not long after a situation arises that helps to bring on the humility - ouch!

Question for today, what are you saying yes and no to today? Do you need more clarity on what God is calling you to do with your life? Why not ask Him for help on that today?  

You call out to God for help and he helps - he's a good Father that way. But don't forget he's also a responsible Father, and won't let you get by with sloppy living. 1 Peter 1:17 The Message
 

 

 

No comments: