Wednesday, January 10, 2018

He sustains me

I lay down and slept, I wakened again, for the Lord sustains me. Psalm 3:5 AMP

We are more than half way through the Christmas holidays and praise God that he is sustaining me! 

But seriously in all areas of our lives, He is where our strength must come from if we are going to live fully and do all that He has called us to do.


But those who wait for the Lord [who expect, look for, and hope in Him] shall change and renew their strength and power; they shall lift their wings and mount up [close to God] as eagles [mount up to the sun]; they shall walk and not faint or become tired. Isaiah 40:31 AMP

Yesterday I had a child complaining about having to do exercises every day. My heart went out to her, I am sure I would feel the same way some days if I was in her situation. But unfortunately for her, the cost of not doing them is too great. So for me as the Mum, head needs to override heart.

This morning as I was thinking about yesterday's conversation, I started to wonder if the daily exercises were too much for a 10 year old girl.

But then our gracious Heavenly Father bought this to mind ... about six years ago two ladies came to our home to talk to us about support programs for Victoria. One of ladies had cerebral palsy and her right hand was unusable. While discussing the exercises we were doing to help Victoria's body be as functional as possible, she said to me, 'I wish my Mum had done for me what you are doing for your daughter, then perhaps I would now be able to use my hand.'

How grateful I was for that reminder. But then God went on to remind me of something else, that I can't help Victoria in my own strength, I need His wisdom and compassion. And He reminded me that Victoria can't maintain this exercise regime in her own strength either, she needs His strength to continue.

Together we need to call on His help, so we can stay the course, with Him sustaining us every day, filling us with His hope. It is a character building course with real rewards (and real consequences should we take the easy path of doing nothing and give up).

Moreover [let us also be full of joy now!] let us exult and triumph in our troubles and rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that pressure and affliction and hardship produce patient and unswerving endurance. And endurance (fortitude) develops maturity of character (approved faith and tried integrity). And character [of this sort] produces [the habit of] joyful and confident hope of eternal salvation. Such hope never disappoints or deludes or shames us, for God's love has been poured out in our hearts through the Holy Spirit Who has been given to us. Romans 5:3-5 AMP


If there is something in your life that needs to be done, but perhaps you have moved into the sphere of doing it in your own strength, as I have with Victoria's daily exercises, why not pray this prayer with me today ...

Dear Heavenly Father, 

Please forgive me for doing things in my own strength, rather than relying completely on You, your strength and wisdom. 

Please help me to better recognise when I am working out of my strength, so I quickly stop and return to your way and allow you to sustain me. 

Thank you that you are continually building our character through troubles, suffering, pressure, affliction and hardship. Help us to keep our eyes on you during these seasons, and know that you are continually transforming us, so we can be and do all that you have called us to do.

Thank you for the hope and faith we have in you, and that you are always faithful. Thank you that you will sustain us.

In Jesus Name we pray.
Amen

Surely God is my help; the Lord is the one who sustains me. Psalm 54:4 - NIV




No comments: