Thursday, January 25, 2018

Whose plans?

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. Proverbs 3:5-6 NKJV


We had a plan for the day we were to drive from home to the Gold Coast (an 8 hour drive according to whereis.com). Perhaps it is more truthful to say, I had a plan for our travelling day! I had carefully included time to have a break every two hours. 

A week prior to the trip I carefully explained the plan to Ken especially emphasizing the planned departure time from home. The children were all informed too and duly prepared.

The day of the trip came, and the reality was that we left almost three hours later than I had planned. There was a time a few years ago that I would have been absolutely seething about the delay - as I like making plans and I like to see the plans work out. 

Whoever is patient has great understanding,
But one who is quick-tempered displays folly.
Proverbs 14:29 NIV

And as I would sit simmering in the car, the stress levels of everyone else in the car rose too. So rather than departing for holiday with an atmosphere of excitement, we departed with an atmosphere of frustration, with some thinking, why are we even bothering to go?

Eventually I realised that I had a responsibility to change my behaviour on these travel days. And I knew I needed help with the change, as this desire to plan was a big part of me, so I asked God for His help.

Bow down You ear, O LORD, hear me; For I am poor and needy. Psalm 86:1 NKJV

In response to this prayer, God showed me that rather than sitting in the car getting more and more impatient, it is much better to be in the house doing that extra bit of tidying up or cleaning so that the home is more organised when we return. So now I employ His strategy and our departures are much more peaceful. Thankfully we have a very practical God, interested in every aspect of our lives.

The LORD directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives. Psalm 37:23 NLT

One could make the assumption that if you leave three hours late, you then arrive three hours late at your destination. But in our situation, that is rarely how it works out. 

On this particular trip we arrived five hours later than planned! Yes, more opportunities for lessons in patience and grace. Opportunities for me to learn more about enjoying each moment, rather than continually looking ahead and missing what the present has to offer. 

Missing the opportunities to sit and marvel at God's creation. Missing the opportunities to have conversations with my husband and children. Missing the opportunities to really hear about what is happening in their lives. Missing the opportunities for siblings to connect in different ways. Missing out on God moments because my plan wasn't being followed!

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the Lord. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." Isaiah 55:8,9 NIV

We are a work in progress, and I am grateful for God's grace that carries us through this moulding and growing process. I am grateful that He takes our every day situations and teaches us through them, if we are listening and staying close to Him, and if we are able to surrender our plans!

Lord Jesus, please help us today to hear your voice, be teachable, and surrender to you in all we do, say and think. Thank you for your mercy and grace that is sufficient for us every day. Amen.


No comments: