Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Building a deep and secure foundation


There is a song I remember from Sunday school, the wise man built his house upon the rock, click here if you don't know it. This song recounts what happens we choose to build on different foundations - the rock or the sand. It is based on this scripture,
 
What good does it do for you to say I am your Lord and Master if what I teach you is not put into practice? 

Let me describe the one who truly follows me and does what I say. He is like a man who chooses the right place to build a house and then lays a deep and secure foundation. When the storms and floods rages against that house, it continues to stand strong and unshaken through the tempest, for it has been wisely built on the right foundation.  

But the one who has heard my teaching and does not obey it is like a man who builds a house without laying any foundation whatsoever. When the storms and floods rage against that house, it will immediately collapse and become a total loss. Which of these two builders will you be? Luke 6:46-49 TPT

This is Jesus talking to his followers, challenging them to listen and obey, to really hear what He is saying and to put His teachings into practice. 

Why are you so polite with me, always saying, 'Yes, sir,' and 'That's right, sir,' but never doing a thing I tell you? Luke 6:46 The Message

When I hear this question I think about the times when I have not done things (thought, word or deed) Jesus' way. Those are the times when my flesh takes over - my pain, my selfish desires or my need for instant gratification. Some of them happened just last week!

But despite my mistakes, I know there is a God who forgives me, and has grace sufficient for me - and you. He really wants us to know this truth, that He is stable, a deep and secure foundation for us to build our lives on.

These words I speak to you are not mere additions to your life, homeowner improvements to your standard of living. They are foundation words, words to build a life on.  Luke 6:47 The Message

We always have a choice. We can choose Jesus, or we can reject Him and look elsewhere. When we choose Jesus, and purposefully move forward in His ways, we can stand (maybe wobbling a bit), no matter what storms and floods come our way.

If you work the words into your life, you are like a smart carpenter who dug deep and laid the foundation of this house on bedrock. When the river burst its banks and crashed against the house, nothing could shake it; it was built to last. Luke 6:48 The Message

Words cannot express how grateful I am that Jesus has been my foundation over the past 22 years. Many storms and floods have come and I have no doubt that the only reason I and my family are still standing, and now thriving, is because of Jesus. His love, His grace, His mercy, His patience and His wisdom in guiding us on how to build a foundation - His way. Not like the way of the foolish man....

But if you just use my words in Bible studies and don't work them into your life, you are like a dumb carpenter who built a house but skipped the foundation. When the swollen river came crashing in, it collapsed like a house of cards. It was a total loss. Luke 6:49 The Message

So that brings us back to this question from Jesus, 'Which of these two builders will you be?' 

There are a couple of responses to this question, firstly for those who don't yet know Jesus as their Lord and Saviour, today will you choose to say, "Jesus I want to do life your way, forgive me for building my own unsustainable foundation. Help me to follow your ways."

Secondly for those who are already following Jesus and want to build a stronger foundation in Him, will we choose to say, "Jesus, help us to build a deeper foundation in You. Show us what needs to change in our lives, and help us to make those changes. Help us to be the wise man who digs deep and builds securely on the Rock so that we will not be moved when the storms and floods come."

Thank you Jesus for your mercy and compassion and unfailing love for us. Thank you that you are ready and waiting to be our deep and secure foundation. In your mighty name we pray, Amen.











No comments: