Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Don't miss the moment - God might have something He wants you to do

Last night I was really looking forward to going to bed, possibly because I'd had a patchy nights' sleep the night before. Anyway, two children were in bed (not asleep), one was doing homework with Ken and the other was chilling out. 

Bed was looking like a good option for me, until I felt the Holy Spirit say, 'Go to your desk and finish the work you started today.' That work was probably going to involve at least an hour and a half of 'non-creative tasks, going through the motions, ticking all the boxes type' of work. I wasn't overly enthused. But I obeyed, thinking 'Yes Holy Spirit, you are right, if I complete this now it will ease the load tomorrow.'

I opened up the programs I needed, found the paperwork required and turned on my worship music and started on the work. It wasn't long before it became very evident that I was not at my desk to work (even though somehow the work was completed - thank you Holy Spirit), I was there to worship. Overcome by His Presence, there were tears and deep cries, interceding for those He put on my heart. I will probably never know what happened in the spiritual realm at that time. But I do know this, had I ignored the prompting of the Holy Spirit and gone to bed, God would probably have had to find someone else who was willing to be obedient.

The point of this little story?

We don't always know what God's plan is. We don't always know what He is wanting to bring out of a situation - for us or others. 

For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways,' says the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts. Isaiah 55:8-9 NKJV

What's important is that we listen, recognise His voice and obey. Sometimes one, two or three of these three actions are not easy to do.

Listen - we have to have space in our thoughts. We need to stop our own dialogue or the noise around us so we can hear that still small voice.

Recognise - we know who is speaking. We know something of God's character and His love for us, so we know what He would be saying to us.

Obey - we choose to do what He asks - no matter what we think, understand or what our flesh says.

As I'm writing this the Holy Spirit is reminding me that there are some areas in my life where it is easy for me to listen, recognise and obey. 

In that story about last night, even though I was tired, I am a task focused person who likes to be organised so it wasn't too much of a stretch to obey. However, when it comes to food, that is a different story - my flesh wins way too many times. That is definitely one of the thorns in my side. We are all a work in progress.

So let's ask God today to help us listen more, quickly recognise His voice and obey Him, because our obedience could help lead to breakthrough in our life, or the lives of others.

A portion of Psalm 86 ....

You are the one and only God.
What miracles! What wonders! What greatness belongs to you!
Teach me more about you, how you work and how you move, so that I can walk onward in your truth until everything within me brings honour to your name.
With all my heart and passion I will thank you, my God!
I will give glory to your name, always and forever!
Psalm 86:10-12 TPT





 

No comments: