Wednesday, September 26, 2018

What's missing in your life?


A few years ago one of our children came to me while I was working at my desk and gave me this photo, complete with a handmade frame.  This was more than a gift, it was a not-so-subtle request saying, 'Mum, I need more hugs and love from you.'

I had to stop and think about what was really going on here. What had I missed? What was I not seeing? Why wasn't I seeing it? What did I need to do next? Some soul-searching went on. 

I changed some of my actions, but obviously not enough, because here is what I received from that child for Christmas that year ....


So at least one thing is very clear, I am falling short when it comes to fulfilling the love language of this child! Yes, even now, a few years on there are times when this child, who has since worked out how to verbalise what they need from me, is sometimes lacking in love and attention from their mum.

But as much as I try to fulfill that need I know that I will never do it perfectly. I believe my best approach is to love them the best way that I can, and teach them about Jesus' love for them - that He is the only one that can love them perfectly. Mummy can't.

I know that has certainly been my experience with Jesus. I love my parents and they have done their best to love me, but they aren't perfect. And neither have I been the perfect loving daughter. I love my husband and he does his best to love me, but he isn't perfect. And likewise the love that I have offered him has not been perfect either.  

But Jesus' love is different. Here is what He says in John 15:9, from The Passion Translation....

'I love you with the same love that the Father loves me. You must continually let my love nourish your hearts.'

A love that God wants to lavish on us.

"Look with wonder at the depth of the Father's marvelous love that he has lavished on us! He has called us and made us his very own beloved children." 1 John 3:1 TPT

A love that understands pain.

For this is how much God loved the world - he gave his one and only, unique Son as a gift. So now everyone who believes in him will never perish but experience everlasting life.  John 3:16 TPT

A love that hears the cry of the broken, and brings healing and restoration, not always as and when we expect, but in His way and His time.

Today, let's surrender and receive His love, knowing that it is perfect for every moment of our lives - today, tomorrow and forever more.

Psalm 23 ...

The Lord is my best friend and my shepherd.
I will always have more than enough.
He offers a resting place for me in his luxurious love.
His tracks take me to an oasis of peace, the quiet brook of bliss.
That's where he restores and revives my life.
He opens before me pathways to God's pleasure
and leads me along in his footsteps of righteousness
so that I can bring honor to his name.
Lord, even when your path takes me through
the valley of deepest darkness,
fear will never conquer me, for you already have!
You remain close to me and lead me through it all the way.
Your authority is my strength and my peace.
The comfort of your love takes away my fear.
I'll never be lonely, for you are near.
You become my delicious feast
even when my enemies dare to fight.
You anoint me with the fragrance of your Holy Spirit;
you give me all I can drink of you until my heart overflows.
So why would I fear the future?
For your goodness and love pursue me all the days of my life.
Then afterward, when my life is through,
I'll return to your glorious presence to be forever with you!
Psalm 23
The Passion Translation










No comments: