Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Hearing from God in the morning

Cause me to hear Your lovingkindness in the morning, for in You I do trust; Cause me to know the way in which I should walk, for I lift up my soul to You. Psalm 143:8 NKJV

What a great prayer to start the day with. In fact we have it on the wall in our toilet room - one of my homemade signs.

Here it is again, this time from the Amplified Bible ...

Cause me to hear Your lovingkindness in the morning,
for on You do I lean and in You do I trust.
Cause me to know the way wherein I should walk,
for I lift up my inner self to You.
Psalm 143:8 AMPC

Cause me to hear ...

This means we need to be listening. What a temptation there is some mornings to get up and get started on the long list of jobs that sit on my desk. I've worked out that I can't be thinking about all those jobs and listening to God at the same time. If I am not purposeful in shutting out the thoughts about the jobs list, they will take over.

Your lovingkindness in the morning,

How beautiful to hear first thing in the morning, before the family awakes and the chaos starts, that you are loved - regardless of what you did or didn't do the day before. To hear that you are forgiven, that His grace is sufficient and that His mercies are new every morning. That is good food for the soul.

for on You do I lean 

Sometimes things in life can feel too heavy to lean on others, but Jesus is always strong enough and more than willing to support each of us.....

So here's what I've learned through it all: Leave all your cares and anxieties at the feet of the Lord, and measureless grace will strengthen you. Psalm 55:22 The Passion Translation

And in You do I trust.

We need to choose to trust Him, no matter what. It's simple - I trust you God, or I don't trust you God. Well it's simple to say the words, but sometimes it's not so simple to trust with our hearts, because we have emotions, disappointment, fears, grief and anger. They need to be processed to enable us to come back to that place of trusting God.

Cause me to know the way wherein I should walk,

How many times have you said to yourself, 'I wish someone would show me what to do next,' or 'I wish someone would tell me which option to choose.' Well, there is a God in Heaven who will show us the next step if we ask Him and listen...

Trust in the Lord completely, and do not rely on your own opinions. With all your heart rely on him to guide you, and he will lead you in every decision you make. Become intimate with him in whatever you do, and he will lead you wherever you go. Don't think for a moment that you know it all, for wisdom comes when you adore him with undivided devotion and avoid everything that's wrong. Proverbs 5:3-7 TPT
 
for I lift up my inner self to You.
  
What does it mean to lift up our inner self to God? Proverbs 5:6 and 7 give us a couple of beautiful phrases like 'become intimate with him.' Think of those people you are intimate with, what does that relationship look like, feel like? Do you have that sense when you commune with God? Here's another one, 'adore him with undivided devotion', again think of those people you are devoted to, how does that compare with your devotion to Jesus? 

We have a God who is jealous for us, He loves us and desires us to love Him wholeheartedly. 

So let's pray Psalm 143:8 with a heart that wants to know more of His love, so we can move further towards that place of fully trusting Him in all things, and love as He loves.

Let the dawning day bring me revelation of your tender, unfailing love. Give me light for my path and teach me, for I trust in you. Psalm 143:8 TPT
 


No comments: