Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Mum, Is it okay to have a singular goal?

Last night one of our children asked me, 'Mum, is it okay to have a singular goal? Just one thing you are aiming for.' 

'It depends what that singular goal is. I had a goal in my early 20's, to buy an apartment, and that was all I focused on,' I replied.

'What were your other goals?' she asked.

'None. I didn't have any other goals - just making money so I could live in a nice place and buy nice things,' I replied starting to reflect on how my life had changed since then.

'But surely you had other goals. What happened when you reached that goal - what next? Remember how a few weeks ago that preacher kept asking us 'what next?, then 'what next?', then 'what next?' What was next for you Mum ?' she pressed the point.

'Yes, well that was the problem, after buying the apartment I felt so empty and unfilled that I started asking questions about the purpose of my life, what was it all about? Buying that apartment and the subsequent feelings were one of the catalysts for me seeking Jesus. Now I realise He was using those circumstances to draw me to Himself. And now my singular goal is to do all that God wants me to do with my life.' I responded, amazed at the clarity of this answer as it was three hours after my normal bedtime, so all credit goes to the Holy Spirit.

We had some further conversation about how that singular goal of doing all God wants me to do has many facets in terms of being a wife, a mum, a business person, volunteer, writer, but the motive is the same - all for Jesus. Here is how Paul talks about his change in motive ....

Yet all of the accomplishments that I once took credit for, I've now forsaken them and I regard it all as nothing compared to the delight of experiencing Jesus Christ as my Lord!  To truly know him meant letting go of everything from my past and throwing all my boasting on the garbage heap. It's all like a pile of manure to me now, so that I may be enriched in the reality of knowing Jesus Christ and embrace him as Lord in all of his greatness. Philppians 3:7-8 TPT

As a Christian there is a process that takes place over the years as we press into God, through the good and troubling times. I think the proper word is sanctification. The more we press in, the more we learn of God's character, a learning that feeds that deep yearning to know Him and His love for us more and more. For me, I never want to stop doing that as I am so grateful for the love, grace and mercy He has shown me over the years. The more closely I walk with Him, the more complete I feel every day. 

Let's hear some more from Paul on his singular goal ...

I admit that I haven't yet acquired the absolute fullness that I'm pursing, but I run with passion into his abundance so that I may reach the purpose that Jesus Christ has called me to fulfill and wants me to discover. I don't depend on my own strength to accomplish this; however I do have one compelling focus: I forget all of the past as I fasten my heart to the future instead. I run straight for the divine invitation of reaching the heavenly goal and gaining the victory-prize through the anointing of Jesus. So let all who are fully mature have this same passion, and if anyone is not yet gripped by these desires, God will reveal it to them. And let us all advance together to reach this victory-prize, following one path with one passion. Philippians 3:12-16 TPT

Let's pray,

Jesus, thank you that you love us and you have called us for your purposes. Thank you that you have made us all unique, but with a heart for you.  Thank you that you are continually drawing us to yourself, revealing more of yourself to us. Please help us to run this race you have set before us with passion, not getting distracted, but keeping our eyes on you. Please show us today, what you want us to do and help us to do it in your strength, not our own. In your name we pray and live. Amen.

No comments: