Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Moments to treasure

Over the years we have had many moments we would rather forget, but thankfully now the season has changed and we are having more moments to treasure. This is one of them, our children racing Ken's dad on his mobility scooter. Four strong healthy children connecting with and loving their grandfather (and providing plenty of entertainment for other people in the park).
 
How different that picture looked 8 years ago, even 4 years ago. I am listening to the song Remembrance (Hillsong), and there is a line that always makes me teary ...
 
Oh to think where I would be
If not for You
 
When I hear these lyrics I think about my salvation, the path I was on, and how that changed when I received Jesus as my Lord and Saviour. 
 
I also think about the many challenges we have faced and how He has brought us through them all.So many hours spent crying out to God, believing for His mercy and grace, trusting that He has something better for our family. Asking Him to help me in those times of unbelief to believe that He would do it. Standing on His Word. Finally coming to a place of believing that He is good when we were still waiting for the circumstances to change.

Declaring His truth like Psalm 119:89-90, when His faithfulness to our next generation looked a little shaky...

Standing firm in the heavens and fastened to eternity is the word of God.
Your faithfulness flows from one generation to the next;
all that you created sits firmly in place to testify of you.
 
Deciding to keep turning to His Word for the final say, Psalm 119:91-92 ...
 
By your decree everything stands at attention,
for all that you have made serves you.
Because your words are my deepest delight,
I didn't give up when all else was lost.
 
Asking Him, what are wanting to teach me? Psalm 119:93-94
 
I can never forget the profound revelations you've taught me,
for they have kept me alive more than once.
 
Yes, God has taught us so much over these years, including how to appreciate these little moments together, and the sound of laughter that accompanies them. He has taught me that without Him I am nothing, so I best stick with Him despite my feelings. Psalm 119:94-95
 
Lord, I'm all yours, and you are my Saviour;
I have sought to live my life pleasing to you.
Even though evil men wait in ambush to kill me,
I will set my heart before you to understand more of your ways.
 
But one of the most important things I've learned is summed up in Psalm 119:96 ...
 
I've learned that there is nothing perfect
in this imperfect world except your words,
for they bring such fantastic freedom into my life!
 
For us the season has changed, there are many more moments of laughter and joy, and we are so grateful for that. But to have had the opportunity to draw closer to God, to learn how to stand and keep standing, to move to a deeper level of trust and belief brings an even greater joy.
 
A thief has only one thing in mind - he wants to steal, slaughter, and destroy. But I have come to give you everything in abundance, more than you expect - life in its fullness until you overflow! John 10:10 TPT

Let's pray, 

Dear Jesus,

Thank you Jesus that you came, and that you didn't leave us or forsake us. Thank you that we can reflect on those moments in our lives and see how you carried us, you guided us, you protected us and  you brought us through. Thank you for teaching us to stand and keep standing, bringing people alongside to hold up our arms when we are weary. Thank you that in You alone we find freedom to be who You made us to be. Thank you for the seasons of life and what You teach us in each one, help us to not miss any of the lessons you want us to learn. Thank you that your grace and mercy follow us all the days of our lives. In your name we pray and live, Amen.

No comments: