Thursday, November 15, 2018

You are 'the one'

During the weekend I had the privilege of listening to someone's story of God's grace in their life as they shared about circumstance after circumstance that God had used (not created) to draw them to Himself. Of course I was in tears. It was a wonderful testimony of God continually seeking after 'the one', and not giving up until she had returned home to Him. 

In Luke 15 Jesus shares about God's heart for us...

In response, Jesus gave them this illustration:

"There was once a shepherd with a hundred lambs, but one of his lambs wandered away and was lost. So the shepherd left the ninety-nine lambs out in the open field and searched in the wilderness for that one lost lamb. He didn't stop until he finally found it. With exuberant joy he raised it up and placed it on his shoulders, carrying it back with cheerful delight!

Returning home, he called all his friends and neighbours together and said, 'Let's have a party! Come and celebrate with me the return of my lost lamb. It wandered away, but I found it and brought it home."

Jesus continued, "In the same way, there will be a glorious celebration in heaven over the rescue of one lost sinner who repents, comes back home, and returns to the fold - more so than for all the righteous people who never strayed away."
Luke 15:3-7 TPT

It is difficult to describe the depth of God's love for us. He doesn't want us in the wilderness, doing life without Him. He wants us to make the choice to receive His love, and grow in His strength and live doing what He has called us to do - be His light in this world.

Now you must continue to make this new life fully manifested as you live in the holy awe of God - which brings you trembling into his presence. God will continually revitalise you, implanting within you the passion to do what pleases him. Philippians 2:12-13 TPT

Live in holy awe of God - that awe is what I felt when listening to my friend's story. Awe that God would patiently wait for her to return, bringing people alongside to pray for her, to share His love with her in many practical ways and to speak of His love. Even now as I think about it, the tears come.

Brings you trembling into his presence -  about a month ago one of our children was unwell and couldn't go to church, so I stayed at home with her and we watched Louie Gigilo's Indescribable video. I still find it difficult to understand that this all powerful God passionately desires to have a personal relationship with me, you and other 7 billion plus people on the earth. That He knows each one of us ... not like we know a spouse or a close friend. No, much much more intimately than that ...

You formed my innermost being, shaping my delicate inside and my intricate outside, and wove them all together in my mother's womb. 

I thank you, God, for making me so mysteriously complex! Everything you do is marvellously breathtaking.
It simply amazes me to think about it!
How thoroughly you know me, Lord!

You even formed every bone in my body when you created me in the secret place, carefully, skillfully shaping me from nothing to something. 
Psalm 139:13-15 TPT

But what helps me come to that place of reconciling this  unfathomable all powerful God and His love for me is the many personal experiences I have had of His love... That continual revelation of seeing how He goes before us, preparing a way... That witnessing of His mercy when you know a situation could have been much much worse... The receiving of His grace when you know that there is no other explanation than ... only by the grace of God... The sense that He is carrying you because you have absolutely nothing left in you... The knowing that you are 'the one' that He went looking for, so He could bring you home to where you belong. 

Knowing that He is the creator of the universe AND the creator of me, having experienced His love, bring me trembling into His presence.

The purpose of today's post? To help you take a moment to reflect on just how much your Heavenly Father loves you, and to encourage you to take some time to enjoy His presence today. You are 'the one'.





No comments: