Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The beachhead trick

If you have ventured on to the page on my blog called "Current Reading Pile", you will be aware that I am currently a book called 'Something More - in search of a deeper faith' by Catherine Marshall.

A few nights ago I read something in this book that has stuck in my mind. It has been particularly relevant at this time as I am considering the impact of modern day technology on our children. Rather than attempt to explain what Catherine has written about, I have taken the liberty of doing a direct quote from pages 149 and 150 ....

"When we understand the factuality of this free will, then we'll be more likely to perceive why it's so dangerous to hand over to Satan any ground in our life on which he can stand. What I have come to call "the beachhead trick" is a favorite of the enemy.
During World War II the term "beachhead" came into popular usage. A beachhead is that first landing on an island or a shore on which the whole battle may depend. Once that toehold on land is secured, it is usually only a matter of time until the rest of the island or country or even empire falls.
Just so - my life, my body, my affairs are as an island empire that the unholy spirit hopes to win en route to his ultimate objective of my eternal soul. To do that, he too must first gain a beachhead in my life. With that toehold, then he can take his time about gaining control of the rest of me and my affairs, yard by yard, decision by decision. But the analogy breaks down at one important point. In war, through physical overpowering, the victor can force his opponent to bend to his will, whereas God has kept from the unholy spirit the ability to force any human being against his will. Either Satan has to be granted permission by God (as in Job's case), or we have to give Satan the beachhead voluntarily, else he can't have it."

This morning I felt I had to repent of giving Satan an opportunity to gain a beachhold in my children's lives via various computer and television programs and ask forgiveness for my naivety.  Due to my tiredness and lack of emotional energy, gradually in our home there has been more of the ungodly television and computer programs, and less of the God media. How subtle Satan can be.

I am grateful for the Holy Spirit bringing this to my attention, and am now gearing up for the challenge of change! Knowing though that God is on my side!  Victory is ours in Jesus name.

A question for today, have you given Satan a beachhead in your life, and if so, what are you going to do about it?

No comments: