Saturday, June 15, 2013

Enslavement to God

This morning when I was doing my devotions I read this scripture from 1 Corinthians 7v18-37...
 
Stay where you were when God called your name. Were you a slave? Slavery is no roadblock to obeying and believing. I don't mean you're stuck and can't leave. If you have a chance at freedom, go ahead and take it. I'm simply trying to point out that under your new Master you're going to experience a marvellous freedom you would never have dreamed of. On the other hand, if you were free when Christ called you, you'll experience a delightful 'enslavement to God' you would never have dreamed of.
 
I remember when I was moving toward the point of making a decision to become a Christian thinking to myself that if I became a Christian I would lose so much freedom. I had the idea that if I became a Christian I would be subject to so many rules and 'don't do's'!
 
However, my experience since becoming a Christian has indeed been the complete opposite to what I thought it would be.
 
Here is what I mean. Prior to becoming a Christian I was enslaved to what other people thought. Both consciously and sub consciously many of my actions were driven by a need of approval from people around me. I was starting to lose the essence of who 'Wendy' was as I melded more and more into the world around me.
 
Since becoming a Christian, under the covering of God's unconditional love and beautiful grace, I have slowly but surely come to understand the unique person that God made me, and learn to love that person. More and more my actions are driven by God and my desire to achieve the purpose He has for my life. Less and less are they driven by the need for approval from family and friends.
 
Thank you Jesus for bringing me to a place where I am experiencing a delightful enslavement to you. Thank you for allowing me to start becoming all that you made me for. I love you.
 
A question for today, who or what are you enslaved to?
 
 

No comments: