Thursday, August 28, 2014

Then you instantly forgave me

I acknowledged my sin to You, and my iniquity I did not hide. I said, I will confess my transgressions to the Lord [continually unfolding the past till all is told] - then You [instantly] forgave me the guilt and iniquity of my sin. Selah [pause, and calmly think of that]! For this [forgiveness] let everyone who is godly pray - pray to You in a time when You may be found; surely when the great waters [of trial] overflow, they shall not reach [the spirit in] him. You are a hiding place for me; You, Lord, preserve me from trouble, You surround me with songs and shouts of deliverance. Selah [pause, and calmly think of that]! Psalm 32: 5-7 AMP

So often we can want to 'hide' our sin, and not admit to others that we have done wrong, that we are not perfect. We especially don't want to tell God! Pride over comes us. What would He think if He knew what we had done, said or thought?

The truth is that God already knows! God doesn't need us to tell Him so He is aware of our sin, our transgressions. 

You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed. How precious are your thoughts about me, O God. They cannot be numbered! Psalm 139:16-17 NLT

God needs us to tell Him of our sins so we get the revelation of God's goodness and faithfulness despite our sinful nature. Acknowledging our sin and asking for forgiveness is an act of humility that  helps us to put God in His rightful place, and us in ours. Sinners, who by His grace, and His grace alone, have been made righteous.

If we [freely] admit that we have sinned and confess our sins, He is faithful and just (true to His own nature and promises) and will forgive our sins [dismiss our lawlessness] and [continuously] cleanse us from all unrighteousness [everything not in conformity to His will in purpose, thought, and action].  1 John 1:9 AMP

If we lay down our pride and humble ourselves, and seek His forgiveness, we can start to live in the freedom that only Jesus Christ can give us.

Now while they were talking about this, Jesus Himself took His stand among them and said to them, Peace (freedom from all the distresses that are experienced as the result of sin) be to you! Luke 24:36 AMP

Questions for today, have you today, acknowledged your sin to God, asked for His forgiveness, and accepted that He instantly forgives you? Are you able to accept that you are made righteous because of what Jesus did for you? As Paul says in Hebrews, let's come confidently to God with our confession of sin, full of belief, confident that we're presentable inside and out.

He concludes, I'll forever wipe the slate clean of their sins. Once sins are taken care of for good, there's no longer any need to offer sacrifices for them. So friends, we can now - without hesitation - walk right up to God, into "the Holy Place." Jesus has cleared the way by the blood of his sacrifice, acting as our priest before God. The "curtain" into God's presence is his body. So let's do it - full of belief, confident that we're presentable inside and out. Let's keep a firm grip on the promise that keep us going. He always keeps his word. Hebrews 10:17-23 MSG

No comments: