Saturday, August 23, 2014

But why me?

Moses answered God, "But why me? What makes you think that I could ever go to Pharaoh and lead the children of Israel out of Egypt?"
"I'll be with you," God said, "And this will be the proof that I am the one who sent you: When you have bought my people out of Egypt, you will worship God right here at this very mountain."
Exodus 3:11-12 MSG

Sometimes when God asks us to do something, we ask him, 'why me?' We think to ourselves 'I don't have what it takes'. And that is absolutely true, we don't have what it takes, if we try to do it by ourselves. 

However, we can do it with God's wisdom and power. Daniel knew well that the wisdom and power of God would help him in his time of great need, when King Nebuchadnezzar had made a decree to kill all the wise men of Babylon.

Then Daniel went to his house and made the thing known to Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah, and his companions, so they would desire and request mercy of the God of heaven concerning this secret, that Daniel and his companions should not perish  with the rest of the wise men of Babylon.
Then the secret was revealed to Daniel in a vision of the night, and Daniel blessed the God of heaven. Daniel answered, Blessed be the name of God forever and ever! For wisdom and might are His! He changes the times and the seasons; He removes kings and sets up kings. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to those who have understanding! He reveals the deep and secret things; He knows what is in the darkness, and the light dwells with Him! I thank You and praise You, O God of my fathers, who has given me wisdom and might and has made known to me now what we desired of You, for You have made known to us the solution to the king's problem. Daniel 2:17-23 AMP

Daniel knew that he needed God's wisdom for this circumstance. Daniel knew that human wisdom was not going to get them out of this life-threatening situation.

For who [limited to human wisdom] knows what is good for man in his life, all the days of his vain life which he spends as a shadow [going through the motions but accomplishing nothing]? For who can tell a man what will happen [to his work, his treasure, his plans] under the sun after he is gone? Ecclesiastes 6:12 AMP

So what did Daniel do when he needed to get God's direction? He made his circumstance known to some trusted friends, and together they sought God mercy to give them the understanding they needed for the situation. And God heard their prayer and answered them.

In my distress [when seemingly closed in] I called upon the Lord and cried to my God; He heard my voice out of His temple (heavenly dwelling place), and my cry came before Him, into his [very ears].....  He delivered my from my strong enemy and from those who hated and abhorred me, for they were too strong for me. They confronted and came upon me in the day of my calamity, but the Lord was my stand and support. Psalm 18:6,17,18 AMP

Question for today, But why me? Why not you? Why shouldn't God ask you to do this 'task'? He is with you, He has all that you need to do it. We just need to take the time to seek Him, His wisdom and might just as Daniel did. We need to trust that God has got it all covered, as Paul tells us in Ephesians:

He thought of everything, provided for everything we could possibly need, letting us in on the plans he took such delight in making. He set it all out before us in Christ, a long-range plan in which everything would be brought together and summed up in him, everything in deepest heaven, everything on planet earth. Ephesians 1:8-10 MSG




No comments: