Thursday, February 12, 2015

I will cause you to rest

Come to Me, all you who labour and are heavy-laden and overburdened, and I will cause you to rest. [I will ease and relieve and refresh your souls.] Matthew 11:28 AMP

What an invitation! Come to Me, and I will cause you to rest. When did you last receive an invitation like that? The Message Bible puts it this way,

"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Matthew 11:28 The Message Bible 

What an amazing promise - Get away with Jesus and you'll recover your life. What does get away with Jesus mean? How do we practically, in our busy lives, get away with Jesus? The following verses tell us to

Walk with me and work with me - watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly.  Matthew 11:29-30 The Message Bible

So firstly, we need to be walking with Jesus, not alone. We need to be making that daily decision to seek Jesus on His plan for our day and surrender our own plans. As we go through the day, remember that Jesus is with us, at home, in the car, at work, at school, at church, at the shopping centre. Whatever happens, whoever we meet, He is walking with us.

Secondly, we need to work with Jesus. We need to let Him be the teacher. We need to listen and learn from Him. We need to do exactly what He tells us to do. If we are working with Him, being obedient to His word, we won't be pushed past our limit. 

No test or temptation that comes your way is beyond the course of what others have had to face. All you need to remember is that God will never let you down; he'll never let you be pushed past your limit; he'll always be there to help you come through it. 1 Corinthians 10:13 The Message

Through walking and working with Jesus, we will come to better understand 'the unforced rhythms of grace.'  The benefits of coming to Jesus, and living His way are infinite.

But what happens when we live God's way? He brings gifts into our lives, much the same what that fruit appears in an orchard - things like affection for others, exuberance about life, serenity. We develop a willingness to stick with things, a sense of compassion in the heart, a conviction that basic holiness permeates things and people. We find ourselves involved in loyal commitments, not needing to force our way in life, able to marshal and direct our energies wisely. Galatians 5:22-23 The Message

A quick summary, when we accept Jesus' invitation, He will

  • cause us to rest - ease, relieve, refresh our souls
  • never let you down
  • will never let you be pushed past your limit
  • will always be there to help you come through it
  • bring gifts, like exhuberance about life and serenity into our lives


And in response, we will
  • recover our life
  • learn the unforced rhythms of grace
  • live freely and lightly
  • be able to marshal and direct our energies wisely

From my experience I know all of this to be true.  For me, having a seriously ill child, often feeling heavy-laden and overburdened, daily choosing to live Jesus' way has certainly helped me to find rest.

So today, let's take time to accept Jesus invitation to Come to Him. Let's surrender our ways, our day, our hearts, our worries, and let Him 'cause us to rest'.

Take My yoke upon you and learn of Me, for I am gentle (meek) and humble (lowly) in heart, and you will find rest (relief and ease and refreshment and recreation and blessed quiet) for your souls. For My yoke is wholesome (useful, good - not harsh, hard, sharp, or pressing, but comfortable, gracious, and pleasant), and My burden is light and easy to be borne. Matthew 11:29-30 AMP

No comments: