Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Our Potter

Yet, O Lord, You are our Father; we are the clay, and You our Potter, and we all are the work of Your hand. Isaiah 64:8 AMP

We are the clay that God, the potter, is continually molding and re-shaping. It is a never ending process, which I have found is much better to yield too, rather than resist. 

Since becoming a Christian almost 20 years ago, I have been on this amazing journey of God continually increasing my strength and courage. I thought I was doing pretty well on this journey (opps, pride!) so in December when I felt God give me two specific scriptures for 2015, one of which was 1 Chronicles 28:20,

Also David told Solomon his son, Be strong and courageous, and do it. Fear not, be not dismayed, for the Lord God, my God is with you. He will not fail or forsake you until you have finished all the work for the service of the house of the Lord. AMP

I wondered what God had planned for me this year. 

It hasn't taken long for me to find out. Already in this first month or so of 2015 I have found myself confronted with challenging situations I didn't expect. In these situations I had a choice to either walk away, saying this is too hard and too painful, or I take the path of being brave and courageous. 

As I consider which path to take, this scripture, in particular, the words, 'Fear not' and 'He will not fail or forsake you until you have finished all the work for the service of the house of the Lord' come flooding back to my mind. It is the truth of this scripture, that eventually gives me the courage to step out into the unknown place and trust that God will be there when I get there. 

And He always is there, ready and waiting to guide me through the situation. He is shaping me more and more into the person He has destined me to be. He is the potter, and I am the clay, who by choosing to be obedient (most times) allows myself be molded and shaped, for what specific purpose I do not know. However I continue to trust that it is for His purposes and to bring glory to His Name. What a peace that trust brings to my soul.

Question for today, are you letting yourself be the 'clay' that the potter, Our Lord, can work with? Has God spoken something specific to you and are you letting Him outwork that in your life? Today, let's ask God to help us be clay that is willing to be shaped for His purposes.

For all that is in the world - the lust of the flesh [craving for sensual gratification] and the lust of the eyes [greedy longings of the mind] and the pride of life [assurance in one's own resources or in the stability of earthly things] - these do not come from the Father but are from the world [itself]. And the world passes away and disappears, and with it the forbidden cravings (the passionate desires, the lust) of it; but he who does the will of God and carries out His purposes in his life abides (remains) forever. 1 John 2:16-17 AMP

No comments: