Tuesday, March 31, 2015

I refuse to repudiate God's grace

What actually took place is this: I tried keeping rules and working my head off to please God, and it didn't work. So I quit being a "law man" so that I could be God's man. Christ's life showed me how, and enabled me to do it. I identified myself completely with him. Indeed, I have been crucified with Christ. My ego is no longer central. It is no longer important that I appear righteous before you or have your good opinion, and I am no longer driven to impress God. Christ lives in me. The life you see me living is not "mine." but it is lived by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. Galatians 2:19-20 The Message

In this passage of scripture the Apostle Paul is talking to the Galatians about the centrality of Christ in His life. He is explaining to them about how he used to do life prior to his divine meeting with Jesus, compared with his life now as a follower of Jesus. Paul goes on to say,

I am not going to go back on that. Is it not clear to you that to go back to that old rule-keeping, peer-pleasing religion would be an abandonment of everything personal and free in my relationship with God? I refuse to do that, to repudiate God's grace. If a living relationship with God could come by rule-keeping, then Christ died unnecessarily. Galatians 2:21 The Message

The words, 'I am not going back on that,' challenged me. How easy is it to slip back into the 'old ways' of life. There are a few questions we can ask ourselves from this passage of scripture, to analyze the degree to which we are living out of God's grace.

1. Am I trying to keep rules and working my head off to please God?
2. What is central in my life, is it my ego?
3. Is it important that I appear righteous in front of others?
4. Is it important that others have a good opinion of me?
5. Am I driven to impress God?

Some times there is not a simple answer to these questions. But rather we need to take time to reflect on each area of our life and be honest about our motives for our actions. We need to be brave and admit that our motives aren't always as pure as they seem. We need to acknowledge that our flesh has taken control in that area. We need to return to Jesus. He, and He alone is our way forward.

But the Scriptures [picture all mankind as sinners] shut up and imprisoned by sin, so that [the inheritance, blessing] which was promised through faith in Jesus Christ (the Messiah) might be given (released, delivered, and committed) to [all] those who believe (who adhere to and trust in and rely on Him]. Galatians 3:22 AMP

Jesus has done it all for us. Jesus has given us right-standing with God, our Heavenly Father. As Easter approaches, let's take lots and lots of time to reflect on Jesus and His sacrifice. Let's refuse to repudiate God's grace, but rather let's embrace His grace and live fully in it.

[Therefore, I do not treat God's gracious gift as something of minor importance and defeat its very purpose]; I do not set aside and invalidate and frustrate and nullify the grace (unmerited favour) of God. For if justification (righteousness, acquittal from guilt) comes through [observing the ritual of] the Law, then Christ (the Messiah) died groundlessly and to no purpose and in vain. [His death was then wholly superfluous]. Galatians 2:21 AMP


No comments: