Saturday, April 9, 2016

Sleep and God's peace

I lay down and slept: I wakened again, for the Lord sustains me. Psalm 3:5 AMP

Sleep can be under-rated, until you can't seem to get any. It sounds so easy, just lay down and sleep. If you have ever had a sleepless night, you will know what I am talking about it, the question goes out in frustration, 'oh why can't I get to sleep?' Sometimes it is physical pain that is stopping us sleep, or maybe emotional pain, anxiety,or an overactive mind, busy planning out the next day. What does God tell us to do with these 'things' that keep us from rest?

Casting the whole of your care [all your anxieties, all your worries, all your concerns, once and for all] on Him, for He cares for you affectionately and cares about you watchfully. 1 Peter 5:7 AMP

He cares for us. He wants to and is well able to sustain us. But we have to make the choice to cast our cares, to trust that He does care for us, and will give us His peace. 

Do not fret or have any anxiety about anything, but in every circumstance and in everything, by prayer and petition (definite requests), with thanksgiving, continue to make your wants known to God. And God's peace [shall be yours, that tranquil state of a soul assured of its salvation through Christ, and so fearing nothing from God and being content with its earthly lot of whatever sort that is, that peace] which transcends all understanding shall garrison and mount guard over your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

So what does this look like at mid-night or in the early hours of the morning when you are desperately trying to get to sleep but can't. For me, I have been learning to call on the power of the Holy Spirit, my Comforter, to help me cast my cares and 'lay down and sleep'. It is a really simple but heartfelt prayer that comes from my lips, 'Holy Spirit, I give you my concerns, please settle my mind and help me to sleep now'. And literally within seconds, I am asleep. 

Questions for today, what is it that keeps you awake a night sometimes? What is your strategy for getting to sleep? Does it work every time? If  not, next time, why not try calling on the Holy Spirit, who dwells within us. He is the Author and Giver of peace.

Now may the God of peace [Who is the Author and the Giver of peace], Who brought again from among the dead of our Lord Jesus, that the great Shepherd of the sheep, by the blood [that sealed, ratified]  the everlasting agreement (covenant, testament), Strengthen (complete, perfect) and make you what you ought to be and equip you with everything good that you may carry our His will; [while He Himself] works in you and accomplishes that which is pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ (the Messiah); to Whom be the glory forever and ever (to the ages of the ages). Amen (so be it). Hebrews 13:20-21 AMP

No comments: